* LOC estimates for Ada Command and Control projects
@ 1991-08-15 14:26 Dennis Gibbs
From: Dennis Gibbs @ 1991-08-15 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

<>

We are trying to produce coding estimates for our project and we would
like to solicit input to get an  estimate for the number  of lines  of
code (LOC) per day per developer.

Our definition  of LOC per day  is code  that is  developed, debugged,
tested, and documented.

The project in question is a small Command and Control project with an
estimated total code size of 50,000 lines.  Our system is event driven
with heavy Man-Machine Interfaces (MMI).  We are using OpenWindows for
the MMI, on Sun Sparcstation 2's.  For the  purposes of  this estimate
we would like to assume our programmers have  average proficiency with
Ada (not Ada wizards, but not novices either).

Can anyone out  there involved in  an Ada Command and  Control project
tell us what a reasonable figure would be for LOC per day would be?

Of course we realize that these figures are not always meaningful.   I
remember another net contributor  comparing LOC/per day to the  number
pounds  of airplane  Boeing builds  in a day, which, of course, is not
very meaningful.  Nevertheless, we still need some examples from  some
real-world Command and  Control Projects to  help with  our estimates.

Just to throw out a figure, our current  estimate is  around 20-25 LOC
per day on average, but other examples would help us determine if this
is a good or bad estimate.

Can anyone help us?  This is an urgent need, so if  you think  you can
help please do!

Thanks,

Dennis Gibbs
TRW Systems Integration Group
AWHQ Project Office
Chantilly, VA
(703) 802-1961
--
--------------
Dennis Gibbs

* Re: LOC estimates for Ada Command and Control projects
@ 1991-08-15 18:11 Brian Hanafee
From: Brian Hanafee @ 1991-08-15 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1234@tfsg.UUCP> dennis@tfsg.UUCP (Dennis Gibbs) writes:
>We are trying to produce coding estimates for our project and we would
>like to solicit input to get an  estimate for the number  of lines  of
>code (LOC) per day per developer.

>Our definition  of LOC per day  is code  that is  developed, debugged,
>tested, and documented.

>The project in question is a small Command and Control project with an
>estimated total code size of 50,000 lines.

>[description  of project deleted]

>Just to throw out a figure, our current  estimate is  around 20-25 LOC
>per day on average, but other examples would help us determine if this
>is a good or bad estimate.

>[...]

>Dennis Gibbs
>...uunet!tfsg!dennis

Ask yourself if one developer working full time for 12-15 months could
complete the project: developed, debugged, tested, and documented.
How about two developers for 6-8 months?  If you can't answer those
questions, or if you think the answer might be no, then your estimate
is going to get you in trouble.  Also ask yourself what "develop"
means.  Is the design completed already?

--
Brian Hanafee                         Advanced Decision Systems
bhanafee@ads.com                      1500 Plymouth Street

* Re: LOC estimates for Ada Command and Control projects
@ 1991-09-06 12:49 agate!linus!linus!kjm%grotto.mitre.org
From: agate!linus!linus!kjm%grotto.mitre.org @ 1991-09-06 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1234@tfsg.UUCP>, dennis@tfsg.UUCP (Dennis Gibbs) writes:

> <>
>
> We are trying to produce coding estimates for our project and we would
> like to solicit input to get an  estimate for the number  of lines  of
> code (LOC) per day per developer.
>
> Our definition  of LOC per day  is code  that is  developed, debugged,
> tested, and documented.
>
> The project in question is a small Command and Control project with an
> estimated total code size of 50,000 lines.  Our system is event driven
> with heavy Man-Machine Interfaces (MMI).  We are using OpenWindows for
> the MMI, on Sun Sparcstation 2's.  For the  purposes of  this estimate
> we would like to assume our programmers have  average proficiency with
> Ada (not Ada wizards, but not novices either).
>
> Can anyone out  there involved in  an Ada Command and  Control project
> tell us what a reasonable figure would be for LOC per day would be?
>

> Of course we realize that these figures are not always meaningful.   I
> remember another net contributor  comparing LOC/per day to the  number
> pounds  of airplane  Boeing builds  in a day, which, of course, is not
> very meaningful.  Nevertheless, we still need some examples from  some
> real-world Command and  Control Projects to  help with  our estimates.
>
> Just to throw out a figure, our current  estimate is  around 20-25 LOC
> per day on average, but other examples would help us determine if this
> is a good or bad estimate.
>
> Can anyone help us?  This is an urgent need, so if  you think  you can
> help please do!

We generally use a figure of about 8 SLOC per day for Ada programs.  This inclu
des
all of the activities you've mentioned.  One of the major questions would be th
e level
of documentation you expect to do.  Our estimates are based on DoD acquisitions
 with
full MIL-STD-2167(A) documentation.  Most of the programs are also much larger
than
what you've indicated.  I would guess you might get productivities as high as 1
2 SLOC
per day, but 20-25 sound real high; unless you've got a very, very good softwar
e engineering
process or very few documentation requirements.

--- Kevin Miller ---      " Just my own opinions and observations"