From: bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan)
Subject: Re: Package Interface, and interoperbility
Date: 24 Sep 1994 10:44:12 GMT
Date: 1994-09-24T10:44:12+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <WOODRUFF.94Sep23155316@ec2226.addvax.llnl.gov> WOODRUFF@ec2226.addvax.llnl.gov writes:
   ... My concern is that this appears to assume that *every* C implementation
   uses the same representation for Element *.   Otherwise I think some
   C-compiled library will not be callable from my Ada program because the
   C compiler used a representation for Element * that disagrees with the
   Ada compiler's code.  What's worse, one library will be fine and another
   (compiled with a different C compiler) will be unusable, and I won't
   know before I spend MY OWN MONEY (tm) on the library that I'm in
   trouble.

The problem you describe is possible, but doesn't seem to happen in
practice.  "the market" appears to have ensured that every
(commercial) C implementation (on a given platform) does use the same
representation.  If the compiler didn't, it wouldn't be able to link
against third party libraries and hence people probably wouldn't buy
the compiler unless there was a great incentive to do so.