* A standardized pathnames package for Ada 2005?
@ 2002-12-17 19:04 Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2002-12-17 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any work on / interest in a package to make it easy to synthesize
and analyze compound (path) names?

This crops up a lot, not only as Windows or Unix filenames,
but with things like Tcl widget names.

It might usefully be generic, on parameters such as the max. length of a
nodename, the max. length of the full pathname, the nodename separator,
whether there is a distinguished root nodename and its separator, etc.

Should it handle little-endian pathnames, with the root at the right,
like Internet domain names?

--
Bill-Findlay chez blue-yonder.co.uk ("-" => "")

* Re: A standardized pathnames package for Ada 2005?
@ 2002-12-18  6:23 Grein, Christoph
From: Grein, Christoph @ 2002-12-18  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there any work on / interest in a package to make it easy to synthesize
> and analyze compound (path) names?
>
> This crops up a lot, not only as Windows or Unix filenames,
> but with things like Tcl widget names.
>
> It might usefully be generic, on parameters such as the max. length of a
> nodename, the max. length of the full pathname, the nodename separator,
> whether there is a distinguished root nodename and its separator, etc.
>
> Should it handle little-endian pathnames, with the root at the right,
> like Internet domain names?

You could use a package like mine you can find on my homepage

http://home.T-Online.de/home/Christ-Usch.Grein/Ada

Look for Split'n'Join. Warning! The implementation is not optimized for
efficiency. I proposed it to Ada-Comment, but it hasn't found support. It was in
fact inspired by TCL/TK and Perl.