* OpenVMS Ada95 Capability (was ACT & Ada95 in comp.lang.ada)
@ 1996-04-22  0:00 nickerson
From: nickerson @ 1996-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.829675012@schonberg>,
dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
..
|>As an example of cross-vendor use of test suites, one of the important
|>aspects of our agreement with DEC is that we wlil have access to the
|>DEC test suite. It will take a lot of work to adapt that suite, and part
|>of the reason that it is feasible is that we are committed to a very
|>high degree of compatibility with Dec Ada.

I am interested in more information about Ada95 on Digital OpenVMS. Now
you've mentioned the DEC & ACT agreement and the "commitment" that is
present. So ... this opens the floodgate to a bunch of questions; (note
I've not ever touched Ada95 so excuse any non sequitur); the following
questions occur to me; please answer any and all possible; (I can
find no hard data at either Digital or ACT websites);

0) Is any detailed agreement public?
1) Will both VAX and Alpha be supported and what OS versions?
2) What is the schedule, availability, and distribution mechanism?
3) Will I be using the native VMS Debugger, linker, objects?
4) Will the DEC Ada Compilation System (ACS) interface be there?
5) Will the VMS calling standard be used so that I can easily use mixed
	language programming with other Digital compilers?
6) What other level of integration and support will there be - (eg
	support with LSE/SCA/PCA)?
7) What language annexes will be supported?
8) What will be the task mapping (threads vs process vs cluster process
	vs ...) and the distributed annex mapping (TCP/IP RPC vs ...)?
9) What bindings will be available (eg STARLET, LIB, MTH, FOR, SMG,
	Motif, ...)?

--bn (Bart Nickerson)
nickerson@mirage.vms.boeing.com
(206) 662-0183

* Re: OpenVMS Ada95 Capability (was ACT & Ada95 in comp.lang.ada)
@ 1996-04-23  0:00 ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

nickerson@mirage.vms.boeing.com wrote:

> I am interested in more information about Ada95 on Digital OpenVMS.

> 1) Will both VAX and Alpha be supported and what OS versions?

Are you actually interested in Ada 95 support for VAX/VMS?

Well, that would be two official indications of interest on c.l.a., then.
Do I hear three?

* OpenVMS Ada95 Capability (was ACT & Ada95 in comp.lang.ada)
@ 1996-04-23  0:00 nickerson
From: nickerson @ 1996-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Second try - got it to comp.os.vms but messed up on comp.lang.ada)

.

@ 1996-04-24  0:00   ` David Elliot
From: David Elliot @ 1996-04-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd certainly be interested in a Vax Ada95.

We'd like to transfer from DEC Ada83 to a single Ada95 supported
on the various platforms we use (Vax, Alpha VMS/Unix, SG, Sun).
Currently the Vax VMS platform seems to be the sticking point
as far as GNAT is concerned.  (We've too many Vaxes in the field
to replace them with Alphas)...

@ 1996-04-24  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-04-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

will be forthcoming which will answer at least some of your questions.

* Re: OpenVMS Ada95 Capability (was ACT & Ada95 in comp.lang.ada)
@ 1996-04-25  0:00 Alain Graziani
From: Alain Graziani @ 1996-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:28 PM 4/25/96 GMT, klaus wyss by ubsswop wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am also looking for a new VMS/VAX ada(95) compiler.
>Specially one using DECthreads. Irun run into problems with other libraries
> using DECthreads and the DEC ada compiler.
>
>Klaus Wyss
>Union Bank of Switzerland

The last news I got from Digital is that they will not release any more
versions of the Ada compiler for VAX/VMS.  Only the Alpha/VMS version will
be updated.  To make things even better, they have no plans to go to Ada95.
They said Rational Software Corp will handle the Ada95 compiler product line
but Rational doesn't have it available for VMS yet.

Alain Graziani

Rocketdyne Division, Rockwell International
Ground and Test Support Software
International Space Station Alpha
graziani@gtss.rdyne.rockwell.com
(opinions are my own and not my employer)

* Re: OpenVMS Ada95 Capability (was ACT & Ada95 in comp.lang.ada)
@ 1996-04-25  0:00 ` klaus wyss (by ubsswop)
From: klaus wyss (by ubsswop) @ 1996-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-04-26  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus says:

"I am also looking for a new VMS/VAX ada(95) compiler."

There is no VMS/VAX Ada 95 compiler that I know of, nor any plans to
make one that I know of.

There *are* plans to make an Alpha/OpenVMS port of Ada 95 that will be
highly compatile with Dec Ada. Dec and ACT have agreed on a project to
have ACT do this port, to be validated in the third quarter.

Once the Alpha/OpenVMS port exists, then it is certainly pratical
to produce a Vax/VMS port, and if enough people are seriously
interested, then it may well happen.

* Re: OpenVMS Ada95 Capability (was ACT & Ada95 in comp.lang.ada)
@ 1996-04-27  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alain said

"They said Rational Software Corp will handle the Ada95 compiler product line
but Rational doesn't have it available for VMS yet."

Not quite, the Rational product is for Dec Unix. The Ada 95 compiler for
Alpha/OpenVMS will be a port of GNAT with additions to make it highly
Dec Ada compatible. Our agreement with Dec covers only the Alpha, not
the Vax, but a Vax port is certainly technically possible if there is
sufficient interet.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies