From: "Frank" <franjoe@frisurf.no>
Subject: Re: Compilation halts on GNAT 3-13p, RedHat6.2 Linux
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:46:02 +0200
Date: 2001-08-21T16:46:02+02:00	[thread overview]

Hi!
Inspired by your hacking, I hacked some more:-)
Regarding the result:

> If you generate a dummy procedure for Get_L_Racket such as...
>     procedure Get_L_Racket(P_Pos : out PA_POSITION.Type_Position) is
>     begin
>        null;
>     end;
> you get the following error messages...
>   gcc -c -O2 pa_tennis_engine.adb
>   pa_tennis_engine.adb:20:45: prefix must statically denote a remote
subprogram

>   pa_tennis_engine.adb:20:45: not subtype conformant with declaration at
> unknown location
>   pa_tennis_engine.adb:20:45: functions can only match functions
>   pa_tennis_engine.ads:6:01: "PA_POSITION" is undefined (more references
> follow)

I managed to recreate this error also, when I declared the procedure in the
package body and _not_ declaring it in the package specification part.
If I declare it in the spec part, the error "prefix must statically denote a
remote subprogram" disappeared. It is in that way I have programmed it in my
original source code, this is just a lobotomized version of a program that I
am going to send to report@gnat.com to show them a easy example
of my problem.

> Once you did that & then comment it out, you still get the same set of
error
> messages.

I am not quite sure I understand this paragraph, are you saying that you
commented out a change in the source code, saved and the compilator still
reported the errors from the commented code???

Regarding:

>You can replace the assignment statement in the body w/ a null; & it
compiles
>[with errors].
>  gcc -c -O2 pa_tennis_engine.adb
>  pa_tennis_engine.ads:6:01: "PA_POSITION" is undefined (more references
>follow

I have recreated this situation, further:
My impression is that if I move the declaration of the dummy function
_above_ the procedure REGISTER the compilation-hang disappeares.
Or if there is a declaration of it in the spec part of the package the
problem disappeares.

Frank