From: Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Systems Software Research is Irrelevant
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:06:24 GMT
Date: 2004-10-06T18:06:24+00:00	[thread overview]

Marc A. Criley wrote:

> I finished up last month's CACM (which means flipping through it
> trying to find something, anything of interest) and once again it's
> chock full of surveys, survey protocols, and plans for conducting
> further surveys.

Right. One of the articles is on how to measure web filtering software.
It has nothing whatever to do with computing, computer science, or SW
engineering. I considered writing a letter pointing out the similarity
of this article to one on how to measure the effectiveness of human
librarians at keeping certain books out of the hands of minors, but
what's the point? CACM exists as a peer-reviewed journal for academics
who would otherwise perish.

--
Jeff Carter
"Death awaits you all, with nasty, big, pointy teeth!"