* Ada_Programming/Types/delta
@ 2006-05-11 18:23 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-05-11 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Simon has raised the point that
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types/delta is substandart
(see talk page).

Considering the length discussion about fixed point type which have taken
place here recently I belive that quite a few of the readers of c.l.a are
well suited to improve the article. So please help us out.

As I pointed out to Simon: There is not need to discuss changes on the talk
page. Wiki-Style is: Hit [edit] and improve it. Wikimedia has an unlimited
change history and nothing ever gets lost.

You don't know WikiMarkup - no problem either - just hack the text in
without any markup - someone else will add the markup for you.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: Ada_Programming/Types/delta
@ 2006-05-11 19:33 ` REH
From: REH @ 2006-05-11 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Simon has raised the point that
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types/delta is substandart
> (see talk page).
>
> Considering the length discussion about fixed point type which have taken
> place here recently I belive that quite a few of the readers of c.l.a are
> well suited to improve the article. So please help us out.
>
> As I pointed out to Simon: There is not need to discuss changes on the talk
> page. Wiki-Style is: Hit [edit] and improve it. Wikimedia has an unlimited
> change history and nothing ever gets lost.
>
> You don't know WikiMarkup - no problem either - just hack the text in
> without any markup - someone else will add the markup for you.
>
> Martin
> --

Somone should also fix the nomenclature.  The article defines the two
types of fixed point types as "binary" and "decimal."  I was informed
in this group that saying "binary" is incorrect and should be "normal."

REH

* Re: Ada_Programming/Types/delta
@ 2006-05-11 22:42   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2006-05-11 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"REH" <spamjunk@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

> Martin Krischik wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Simon has raised the point that
> > http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types/delta is substandart
> > (see talk page).
> >
> > Considering the length discussion about fixed point type which have
taken
> > place here recently I belive that quite a few of the readers of c.l.a
are
> > well suited to improve the article. So please help us out.
> >
> > As I pointed out to Simon: There is not need to discuss changes on the
talk
> > page. Wiki-Style is: Hit [edit] and improve it. Wikimedia has an
unlimited
> > change history and nothing ever gets lost.
> >
> > You don't know WikiMarkup - no problem either - just hack the text in
> > without any markup - someone else will add the markup for you.
> >
> > Martin
> > --
>
> Somone should also fix the nomenclature.  The article defines the two
> types of fixed point types as "binary" and "decimal."  I was informed
> in this group that saying "binary" is incorrect and should be "normal."

You mean "ordinary". See 3.5.9 in the RM.

                   Randy.

* Re: Ada_Programming/Types/delta
@ 2006-05-11 22:45 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2006-05-11 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
> As I pointed out to Simon: There is not need to discuss changes on the
talk
> page. Wiki-Style is: Hit [edit] and improve it. Wikimedia has an unlimited
> change history and nothing ever gets lost.

Of course, but I spend too much time here as it is. I wasn't going to write
this article after spending a lot of time answering the specific queries. I
hope there is enough information in my posts that someone else can fix the
Wiki.

                             Randy.

* Re: Ada_Programming/Types/delta
@ 2006-05-11 22:50   ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2006-05-11 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"REH" <spamjunk@stny.rr.com> writes:

> Somone should also fix the nomenclature.  The article defines the two
> types of fixed point types as "binary" and "decimal."  I was informed
> in this group that saying "binary" is incorrect and should be "normal."

Yes, you're right.  But I think the RM terminology is "ordinary"
vs. "decimal".

I think the confusion is due to the fact that for "ordinary" ones, the
Small _defaults_ to binary.  But you can override it with a Small clause
that's decimal, or whatever else you like.

If I ran the circus, Small would equal Delta, so there would be no need
for Small as a separate concept.  Having the compiler choose a Small
different from the Delta just leads to confusion, IMHO.

- Bob

* Re: Ada_Programming/Types/delta
@ 2006-05-12  0:03     ` REH
From: REH @ 2006-05-12  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message
> "REH" <spamjunk@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Martin Krischik wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Simon has raised the point that
>> > http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types/delta is substandart
>> > (see talk page).
>> >
>> > Considering the length discussion about fixed point type which have
> taken
>> > place here recently I belive that quite a few of the readers of c.l.a
> are
>> > well suited to improve the article. So please help us out.
>> >
>> > As I pointed out to Simon: There is not need to discuss changes on the
> talk
>> > page. Wiki-Style is: Hit [edit] and improve it. Wikimedia has an
> unlimited
>> > change history and nothing ever gets lost.
>> >
>> > You don't know WikiMarkup - no problem either - just hack the text in
>> > without any markup - someone else will add the markup for you.
>> >
>> > Martin
>> > --
>>
>> Somone should also fix the nomenclature.  The article defines the two
>> types of fixed point types as "binary" and "decimal."  I was informed
>> in this group that saying "binary" is incorrect and should be "normal."
>
> You mean "ordinary". See 3.5.9 in the RM.
>
>                   Randy.

Yes, Sorry!

REH