* Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08  1:16 Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-08  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having just discovered Ada as an interesting alternative to
other imperitive programming languages with which I am
competent, I downloaded and installed GNAT 3.14p on my
Windows 2000 system only to find that there is no graphical
IDE supplied (GNU Visual Debugger excluded).

(Aside: why is it that most providers of programming tools
try to force command-line interfaces on Windows users? What
could be more unnatural than a command-line interface on
Windows or, for that matter, Macintosh?)

Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
(incompatible virtual device driver). :-(

Are there alternative GIDEs available? Obviously in the
learning phrase I would want to minimize my outlay, at
least until such time as I'm comfortable programming in Ada
and quite sure it is what the "hype" makes it out to be.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

* RE: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08  3:09 Beard, Frank [Contractor]
From: Beard, Frank [Contractor] @ 2002-06-08  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you like the look and feel of the Microsoft Visual tools,
then currently your best bet is Aonix ObjectAda (www.aonix.com).
They have a free version, which includes the GUI Builder, but both
have limitations.   Hopefully, it's enough for you to learn what
you need.  I use the Professional Edition (about $595), but they
have at least one cheaper version.

Frank