From: "Frank J. Lhota" <NOSPAM.lhota.adarose@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Modern copy of GNAT for OpenVMS?
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 20:37:52 GMT
Date: 2002-12-06T20:37:52+00:00	[thread overview]

"Marin David Condic" <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org> wrote in message
news:asq6ar$2ul$1@slb6.atl.mindspring.net...
> Aside: Wouldn't it be nice to have a *standard* way of getting at various
> "normal" OS services like networking and a GUI? Vast amounts of software
> these days take advantage of that sort of thing, but then must become
bound
> to the OS that provides it. Portability starts becoming a pipe dream.

You're absolutely right, especially about the lack of GUI standards. CLI
applications, for all their limitations, were portable. You could write a
"Hello, World!" application that compiles and runs on everything from a Cray
to an Atari. But let's say you want to write the GUI equivalent of "Hello,
World!". The X-Windows approach differs from the MS-Win approach which
differs from the Mac approach. What ever happened to the notion of
portability.

Fortunately, we finally have a portability layer for GUI development, in the
form of GTK API. I have become a fan of the GTK-Ada software. Eventually, I
hope to port the GTK libraries to ObjectAda.