* Re: gnat 3.12p with gcc 2.95.2
@ 2000-05-22  0:00 ` gressett
From: gressett @ 2000-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Acker <Jens.Acker@mathematik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

>Is it possible to build a complete gnat 3.12p system
>on top of the gcc 2.95.2 compiler suite instead of
>the gcc 2.8.1 compiler ?
>I found only patches for gcc 2.8.1 in the distribution
>and the precompiled binaries were with gcc 2.8.1.
>
>If it is possible, what I have to do, to accomplish that?

There has already been some discussion on this topic.

* Re: gnat 3.12p with gcc 2.95.2
@ 2000-05-22  0:00 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2000-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Acker <Jens.Acker@mathematik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Is it possible to build a complete gnat 3.12p system
> on top of the gcc 2.95.2 compiler suite instead of
> the gcc 2.8.1 compiler ?
> I found only patches for gcc 2.8.1 in the distribution
> and the precompiled binaries were with gcc 2.8.1.

It may be possible but it's probably a bad idea. ACT don't recommend
it.

Have a look at http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/gnatfe/ for a workround
that lets you use your 2.95 C, C++, (Fortran??) compiler while
continuing to use your 2.81-based GNAT.

* gnat 3.12p with gcc 2.95.2
@ 2000-05-22  0:00 Jens Acker
From: Jens Acker @ 2000-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to build a complete gnat 3.12p system
on top of the gcc 2.95.2 compiler suite instead of
the gcc 2.8.1 compiler ?
I found only patches for gcc 2.8.1 in the distribution
and the precompiled binaries were with gcc 2.8.1.

If it is possible, what I have to do, to accomplish that?

* Re: gnat 3.12p with gcc 2.95.2
@ 2000-05-22  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Acker a �crit dans le message
<3928E9D2.70DBF0B4@mathematik.uni-dortmund.de>...
>Is it possible to build a complete gnat 3.12p system
>on top of the gcc 2.95.2 compiler suite instead of
>the gcc 2.8.1 compiler ?
>I found only patches for gcc 2.8.1 in the distribution
>and the precompiled binaries were with gcc 2.8.1.
>
>If it is possible, what I have to do, to accomplish that?

No it is not. Well the the full story is: yes it is possible but
you'll have to fix a lot of things in the GCC 2.95.2 backend...

There is no patch yet for GNAT+GCC 2.95.2.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: gnat 3.12p with gcc 2.95.2
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-05-23  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3928E9D2.70DBF0B4@mathematik.uni-dortmund.de>,
  Jens Acker <Jens.Acker@mathematik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Is it possible to build a complete gnat 3.12p system
> on top of the gcc 2.95.2 compiler suite instead of
> the gcc 2.8.1 compiler ?

The short answer is No.

The long answer is as follows:

There are two problems

1. gcc 2.95.2 has many problems and bugs that will prevent
GNAT from operating correctly. Richard Kenner (of Ada
Core Technologies) has recently completed the merge of
the GCC 2.8.1 fixes needed for correct GNAT operation
into GCC 2.96, and also fixed and cleaned up many other
things that were preventing GNAT from working. This has
involved thousands of lines of patches and new code for
GCC 2.96.

2. The interface to gcc 2.9x has changed from 2.8.1 meaning
that changes are needed in GNAT.

We anticipate that the version of GNAT *after* 3.13 will
use GCC 2.96, completing the merging of the technologies,
but it is not practical to build GNAT with gcc 2.95 period,
and not possible to build with gcc 2.96 till that version
of GNAT is available.

We are making good progress, we have a compiler that bootstraps
correctly on at least one target, builds the library, and passes
all but two ACVC tests. Now we need to build on other targets,
correct those remaining ACVC problems, and run the Ada Core
Technologies test suite.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: gnat 3.12p with gcc 2.95.2
@ 2000-05-24  0:00   ` Kent Paul Dolan
From: Kent Paul Dolan @ 2000-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

May I say "bravo" again?  The amount of work you folks get done per time
quantum in a multi-player arena just astonishes me, having been there many
times myself.

Cheers!

xanthian.

               ===== random archival quality quote =====

When you care enough to post the very worst.
                             -- Cary Sandvig

--
Kent Paul Dolan.
<xanthian@well.com> <xanthian@aztec.asu.edu> <kdolan@ebay.com>