* Re: examples of multiple inheritance implementations
       [not found] <9703072015.AA12119@sun3.std.caci.com>
@ 1997-03-07  0:00 ` Robert D. Skeels
From: Robert D. Skeels @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you.

Robert D. Skeels  athene@earthlink.net |---------------------------
Los Angeles, CA         (213) 662-6308 | This message created and
  http://home.earthlink.net/~athene    | sent via the Cyberdog Mail
   freelance illustration & design     | System from Apple Computer
     eti kai nun Hellada phileo
IBM UNLEASHES THE 225 MHz PowerPC 604e--WORLD'S FASTEST DESKTOP CPU

* examples of multiple inheritance implementations
       [not found] <01bc2ad1$1798e9c0$262a6282@cln49ae>
@ 1997-03-07  0:00 ` Robert D. Skeels
From: Robert D. Skeels @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm considering buying CodeBuilder to begin learning Ada 95. I read the
multiple inheritance section on the Ada programming faq and am curious if
anyone can point me to examples of programmer defined MI.

Please don't make this thread a lecture on the disadvantages of MI. That
argument might hold water if we were discussing C++, but I am coming from a
Dylan and CLOS background. Ada 95 looks like a terrific language so far,
but I really do need some type of MI.

@ 1997-03-07  0:00 ` Jon S Anthony
From: Jon S Anthony @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <AF45244E-30B62@206.250.113.116> "Robert D. Skeels" <athene@earthlink.net> writes:

> I'm considering buying CodeBuilder to begin learning Ada 95. I read the
> multiple inheritance section on the Ada programming faq and am curious if
> anyone can point me to examples of programmer defined MI.

You mean actual stuff in real use?  Or just some good examples?  For
the latter, IMO the Rationale (see www.adahome.com for hypertext
version) has some nice stuff.  In particular, it shows a few nice
examples for mixins (which, IMO, is much nicer than the standard MI
approach).

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.

* Re: examples of multiple inheritance implementations
@ 1997-03-07  0:00   ` Brad Balfour
From: Brad Balfour @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<athene@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm considering buying CodeBuilder to begin learning Ada 95. I read the
>multiple inheritance section on the Ada programming faq and am curious if
>anyone can point me to examples of programmer defined MI.
>
>Please don't make this thread a lecture on the disadvantages of MI. That
>argument might hold water if we were discussing C++, but I am coming from a
>Dylan and CLOS background. Ada 95 looks like a terrific language so far,
>but I really do need some type of MI.

Good for you. CodeBuilder on the Mac is a phenomenal Ada compiler (and only $99)

Check out the following URLs for examples of MI in Ada 95:
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/docs/style-guide/
              95style/html/sec_9.html#9.5
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/standards/95rat/RAThtml/rat95-p2-4.html#6
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/docs/flyers/text/multin9x.txt
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/docs/flyers/multin9x.htm

The big thing to keep in mind is that depending on why you want MI, there
are three different idoms in Ada 95 to accomplish what you want.

Good luck,
Brad

--
Brad Balfour                            SIGAda WWW Server
CACI, Inc.                                http://www.acm.org/sigada/

* Re: examples of multiple inheritance implementations
@ 1997-03-07  0:00   ` Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 Mar 1997, Robert D. Skeels wrote:
> I'm considering buying CodeBuilder to begin learning Ada 95. I read the
> multiple inheritance section on the Ada programming faq and am curious if
> anyone can point me to examples of programmer defined MI.

	On the web, you can try the online Ada Rationale,

	http://www.adahome.com/LRM/95/Rationale/rat95html/rat95-p2-4.html#6

is the section on doing MI with Ada. There are also some papers in the
online articles section of www.adahome.com which cover all of the idioms
and the Programmers FAQ probably has more pointers.

> Please don't make this thread a lecture on the disadvantages of MI. That
> argument might hold water if we were discussing C++, but I am coming from a
> Dylan and CLOS background. Ada 95 looks like a terrific language so far,
> but I really do need some type of MI.

	Well, don't be fooled into thinking that Ada 95 OO is like CLOS or
Dylan, despite the syntax. No multiple dispatch. In general, the CLOS
designers chose to make their language incredibly powerful and flexible.
Ada 95 is designed so that it can be easily type checked and made to run
*fast*. Choose the right tool for your job.

-- Brian