* ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-23  0:08 q123wer
From: q123wer @ 2005-06-23  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I work for a company that has just ported/released our GUI builder for
ada.  The compsny is ICS and please contact me if you have any
questions (thok@ics.com)

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-23  1:37 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2005-06-23  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

q123wer@hotmail.com wrote:
> I work for a company that has just ported/released our GUI builder for
> ada.  The compsny is ICS and please contact me if you have any
> questions (thok@ics.com)

Perhaps it is because it is new but any reason the ics website is
keeping this a secret?

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-23  8:10 ` Stephane Riviere
From: Stephane Riviere @ 2005-06-23  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

q123wer@hotmail.com a �crit :

> I work for a company that has just ported/released our GUI builder for
> ada.  The compsny is ICS and please contact me if you have any
> questions (thok@ics.com)

Good news !

Do you have more details about that (product name, url on your website) ?

Which GUI framework is used ?

Is an academic edition planned ?

Best from France,

--
Stephane Riviere
Oleron Island - France

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-27 14:35   ` q123wer
From: q123wer @ 2005-06-27 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is new and will be up there soon....

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-27 14:35   ` q123wer
From: q123wer @ 2005-06-27 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-06-27 15:53   ` Mark
From: Mark @ 2005-06-27 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Sorry, the info release was a little premature. We're just finishing
the literature and other info for the web at this moment. Should have
some thing publically available by end of the week.

But here are some key points:
1. It is based on our BX PRO GUI builder for Motif. All popular UNIX
and Linux platforms will be supported. So everything your read related
to BX PRO is also true of our Ada product.

2. You start BX PRO, select Ada as the target langauge and build your
GUI by dragging-n-dropping GUI objects off the palette. You use a
resource editor to change labels, colors and define callbacks.

3. When done, you select "Generate Ada" and BX generates standard Ada
code that target a set of Motif Bindings we provide (they're based on
the SERC bindings).

4. Currently we support the latest gnat and rational compilers.

5. For a service fee, we can retarget other Motif bindings and rebuild
our bindings for other compilers.

I'll post the official announcement probably later this week.

Mark

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-27 16:00   ` Mark
From: Mark @ 2005-06-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Answers to your questions:

1. Product details:
We should officially announce it this week. We'll post Ada specific
details then, The product will be called BX/Ada. It is basically our BX
PRO product with an addon for Ada. See
http://www.ics.com/products/bxpro/ for BX PRO details. There are also
some details in the prior posting on how things will work.

2. It uses Motif. We include the SERC Bindings (we essentially own
these bindings now).

3. At this point we don't have an academic edition planned.

Regards

Mark

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-27 18:48     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2005-06-27 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1119887618.705488.260650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "Mark" <mhatch@ics.com> writes:

> 1. It is based on our BX PRO GUI builder for Motif.

I presume that BX is related to Builder Xcessory you described at

	http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/msg/efab80ac3b6900a6

where you said:

> No, you're not blind. We screwed up our webpage in the last revision and
> dropped the  link to OpenVMS in the product description pages. Thanks fo
> spotting it! I'll get it corrected ASAP.

So in 2002 you restored your former VMS support but did not support Ada.
Are you saying that in 2005 you are restoring your former Ada support
but not supporting VMS ?

> 2. You start BX PRO, select Ada as the target langauge and build your
> GUI by dragging-n-dropping GUI objects off the palette. You use a
> resource editor to change labels, colors and define callbacks.
>
> 3. When done, you select "Generate Ada" and BX generates standard Ada
> code that target a set of Motif Bindings we provide (they're based on
> the SERC bindings).

That is what one would expect.

> 4. Currently we support the latest gnat and rational compilers.
>
> 5. For a service fee, we can retarget other Motif bindings and rebuild
> our bindings for other compilers.

Why would your Ada bindings vary from one compiler to another ?

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-30  4:16     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2005-06-30  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark" <mhatch@ics.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Sorry, the info release was a little premature. We're just finishing
> the literature and other info for the web at this moment. Should have
> some thing publically available by end of the week.

Please send an announcement to the AdaIC (webmaster@adaic.com) so that we
can add you to our links section and search engine once that gets done. (I'm
not going to look everytime someone posts a message here; I did that for the
*last* premature announcement [last month], our budget is limited...)

                 Randy Brukardt
                 Technical Webmaster, adaic.org/.com

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-30 19:41       ` Mark
From: Mark @ 2005-06-30 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> In article <1119887618.705488.260650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "Mark" <mhatch@ics.com> writes:
>
> > 1. It is based on our BX PRO GUI builder for Motif.
>
> I presume that BX is related to Builder Xcessory you described at
>
> 	http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/msg/efab80ac3b6900a6

That is true. We also have an OpenVMS product. Unfortunately, there has
been no demand for a OpenVMS version that supports Ada. It wouldn't be
a big deal to add that platform, it has just not been clear that
anybody would buy it.

> > All popular UNIX
> > and Linux platforms will be supported.
>
> where you said:
>
> > No, you're not blind. We screwed up our webpage in the last revision and
> > dropped the  link to OpenVMS in the product description pages. Thanks fo
> > spotting it! I'll get it corrected ASAP.
>
> So in 2002 you restored your former VMS support but did not support Ada.
> Are you saying that in 2005 you are restoring your former Ada support
> but not supporting VMS ?

Almost true. Here's the timetable:

2002 OpenVMS BX PRO 5.0 released (Replaces BX PRO V3.5.1 for OpenVMS)
At the time, BX PRO 5.0 is the current release of BX PRO.

2005 July: Ada BX PRO 6.0 released (Replaces BX PRO V3.5.1 for Ada).
Today, BX PRO V6.0 is the current release.

2005 August: OpenVMS BX PRO 6.0 will be released. (Replaces BX PRO V5.0
originally released in 2002).

<snip>

> > 4. Currently we support the latest gnat and rational compilers.
> >
> > 5. For a service fee, we can retarget other Motif bindings and rebuild
> > our bindings for other compilers.
>
> Why would your Ada bindings vary from one compiler to another ?

We deliver binaries of these bindings. Historically, these bindings
have been very tied to compiler versions. (i.e., We've built for
2.x.x.a and they break on 2.x.x.b...)

Regards,

Mark

* Re: ADA GUI Builder
@ 2005-06-30 21:17         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2005-06-30 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1120160475.989121.153530@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Mark" <mhatch@ics.com> writes:

> We deliver binaries of these bindings. Historically, these bindings
> have been very tied to compiler versions. (i.e., We've built for
> 2.x.x.a and they break on 2.x.x.b...)

Something is wrong.

The DEC Ada bindings to Motif may not be great, but there is no
problem when upgrading the compiler version.