From: gmckee@cloudnine.com (Gary McKee)
Subject: Re: Please, Not MachTen! (Was: learning Ada on a Mac)
Date: 1996/08/13
Date: 1996-08-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.839732613@schonberg>,
dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:

 > Spencer said
 >
 > "I was pleased to see that GNAT was available on the Mac platform. I was
 > tickled pink! I quickly followed the link, and. . .
 > . . .was very disappointed. The fact that the GNAT Ada compiler was
 > available was heartening, but that it needs MachTen to run in is not."
 > Anyway, maybe you should not give up on your *dream* so soon, and give
 > Machten another try. Presumably if you have a license already, the
 > upgrade is easily obtained.
 >
 > I think by the time the GNAT/Mac project is completed, in another 6
weeks or
 > so, that the version of Machten that will be released soon after will be
 > quite capable and quite affordable. Watch for details.
The newest versions of MachTen are significantly improved over what we
started with a year ago, Looking at the newest upgrades, especially on the
Power PC, is worthwhile.

We will be producing and marketing a CD_ROM in October with a stripped down
MachTen and the full gcc environment: Ada95, c, c++, assembly languages. It
should be quite usable as a S/W development environment and will be
competitively priced.

Latest download data for the Ada95 compiler is at:
http://gnat-mac.com/macada/