* Ada compiler Testing Suites
@ 1996-05-15  0:00 Mac Kincaid
From: Mac Kincaid @ 1996-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need some advice on whether or not an Ada compiler testing suite such as
ACVC,  ACES or PIWG would be an appropriate tool, or if I need to use a
different kind of Ada support tool.  I am supporting a group that is using an
Ada compiler and have had some problems with the compiler.  The source code
has already been written and several versions of the compiler have been tried.
 None of which seem to be acceptable.  Several versions of this compiler have
passed the ACVC.  Could one of these compiler testing suites be tailored in
such a way that the most valid Ada Compiler version could be selected and the
source code could be analyzed and changed to perform most efficiently (i.e.
tailor the testing suite to emphasize the functionality used in the source
code.).   It should be noted that other and newer versions of the Ada compiler
may need to be tested in the future.

Thanks,
Mac Kincaid

* Re: Ada compiler Testing Suites
@ 1996-05-16  0:00 ` Gary McKee
From: Gary McKee @ 1996-05-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <NEWTNews.832198512.7599.mac@seta217.ivv.nasa.gov>,
Mac Kincaid <kincaid@ivv.nasa.gov> wrote:

 > I need some advice on whether or not an Ada compiler testing suite such
as
 > ACVC,  ACES or PIWG would be an appropriate tool, or if I need to use a
 > different kind of Ada support tool.  I am supporting a group that is
using an
 > Ada compiler and have had some problems with the compiler.  The source
code
 > has already been written and several versions of the compiler have been
tried.
 >  None of which seem to be acceptable.  Several versions of this compiler
have
 > passed the ACVC.  Could one of these compiler testing suites be tailored
in
 > such a way that the most valid Ada Compiler version could be selected
and the
 > source code could be analyzed and changed to perform most efficiently
(i.e.
 > tailor the testing suite to emphasize the functionality used in the
source
 > code.).   It should be noted that other and newer versions of the Ada
compiler
 > may need to be tested in the future.
Mark, The ACES is a test suite that you should consider.

It has many tests (1770+) and often highlights compiler problems not
discovered by the ACVC. The PIWG test suite is much smaller and somewhat
less then current.

The ACES QUICKLOOK is similar in size and functionality to the PIWG and
better supported.

The ACES analysis tools are quite comprehensive.

Gary McKee                           McKee Consulting
gmckee@cloudnine.com                 P. O. Box 3009
voice: (303) 795-7287                Littleton, CO 80161-3009
WWW home page =>                     <http://www.csn.net/~gmckee/>