From: gmckee@cloudnine.com (Gary McKee)
Subject: Re: re: Gnat-Mac and Disk space
Date: 1996/04/20
Date: 1996-04-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <emery-1904962024330001@line149.nwm.mindlink.net>,
emery@grebyn.com (David Emery) wrote:

 > The solution to this is to use disk driver software that partitions
 > the drive.  I'm currently using 135mb partitions (with a "double
partition"
 > for all my Mac applications) on a 1GB drive.  (I use Silverlining for
 > disk driver/partitioning, but most good disk driver packages for the
 > Mac support multiple partitions.)  (I selected 135mb as the size of
 > a EZ135 cartridge, should I ever buy one, I know that I can completely
 > backup/restore a file system (without fancy backup programs) to a single
 > removable disk.

David, The Mac OS addressing scheme is sensitive to the ubiquituous "powers
of two" syndrome.

Consequently, your minimum file size will drop significantly if you reduce
your partitions below the "magic" 128k barrier.

I ran partitions for awhile at 127kb and the files were smaller. I also
took about a 5% performance hit running partitions so I reformatted my hard
drives and traded disk space for increased performance (albeit, only a
small improvement).

Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Gary McKee                           McKee Consulting
gmckee@cloudnine.com                 P. O. Box 3009
voice: (303) 795-7287                Littleton, CO 80161-3009
WWW home page =>                     <http://www.csn.net/~gmckee/>