From: gmckee@cloudnine.com (Gary McKee)
Subject: Re: MachTen & GNAT memory requirements
Date: 1996/04/19
Date: 1996-04-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <brennanw-1604961904540001@pacific-19.vf.pond.com>,
brennanw@pond.com (William C Brennan) wrote:

 > I'm chomping at the bit for Ada on my Mac, but I need memory now for
 > other applications.  Can anyone give me some estimate of how much memory

 > I'll need to run GNAT under MachTen Unix, so I can load up with
 > sufficient RAM now?
 >
 > Thanks!
 >
 > --
 > Bill Brennan
 > brennanw@pond.com
I believe that the smallest amount of RAM that anyone one our team is using
is 16 megs. At 16 megs you should turn on the Mac System VM and expect that
it isn't real peppy.

I am running 40 megs and don't use Mac System VM at all. MachTen and GNAT
are both very nice with this much real memory.

Your mileage may vary.

P.S. We will be doing extensive performance measurements later in the
     project (mid-summer). More details will be provided when we know
     the answers.

Gary McKee                           McKee Consulting
gmckee@cloudnine.com                 P. O. Box 3009
voice: (303) 795-7287                Littleton, CO 80161-3009
WWW home page =>                     <http://www.csn.net/~gmckee/>