From: gmckee@cloudnine.com (Gary McKee)
Subject: Re: Ada95 compilers for the Macintosh
Date: 1996/04/12
Date: 1996-04-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <xanthian-1104961544390001@kdolan-mac.qualcomm.com>,
xanthian@qualcomm.com (Kent Paul Dolan) wrote:

 > Are these self standing with their own Mac runtime libraries, or will
this
 > still require that a C compiler for the Mac be purchased before any
 > interesting work can be done?
 >
 > [And granted the Mac OS is the pits (no flames please, I'm typing at
one,
 > it crashes multiple times a day running standard commercial software),
how
 > small a population of users are you expecting to select for MacGNAT by
 > requiring also that a piggyback OS be in place?  I know I wouldn't
 > personally consider it worth the trouble, compared to a GNAT or other
 > Ada95 compiler running directly under the MacOS and including needed
 > runtime libraries to program to the Mac user interface, which I would
 > instantly download/purchase and use (even if the Mac OS _is_ dreck),
just
 > to get some productive use out of this boat-anchor and the space it is
 > consuming on my desk at work.]
Our Ada95 compilers on the Mac will require the Tenon Intersystems' MachTen
UNIX.The required configuration is:

PPC - System 7.5.1, Machten 4.02, memory, disk, etc.
68k - System 7.5.1, Machten 2.3,  memory, disk, etc.

If you have the MachTen, then all of our stuff can be downloaded from the
NET. Later this fall, Tenon will be marketing a SW development CD-ROM with
their UNIX and our Ada compilers on it.

We are doing the best we can with the resources available. We would be
delighted to have an opportunity to deliver a native Mac compiler, all we
need is funding !

Our compiler is built on GNAT so we won't make much money selling compilers
;-). We are involved in this process because we, as a team, find value in
having a validated Ada95 compiler available on the machines that we prefer
to use.

Our PPC compiler will incude a library of Ada packages that provide
interfaces to the Mac API so that we can generate native Mac applications
even if the compiler requires the MachTen.

Gary McKee                           McKee Consulting
gmckee@cloudnine.com                 P. O. Box 3009
voice: (303) 795-7287                Littleton, CO 80161-3009
WWW home page =>                     <http://www.csn.net/~gmckee/>