* Porting DEC Ada Startlet to Windows
@ 2006-03-01  2:54 stuart clark
From: stuart clark @ 2006-03-01  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some old Universal Ada Test Language code that was written for
DEC Ada. Of course it is riddled with calls to Starlet.

How do i even start to gut out calls to Starlet and replace them with
calls to Windows system calls.

Please note i have NEVEr written a line of Ada code on Windows so i am
a complete newbie!!!

* Re: Porting DEC Ada Startlet to Windows
@ 2006-03-01  4:55 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2006-03-01  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1141181671.910678.65140@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>, "stuart clark" <stuartlclark@hotmail.com> writes:
> I have some old Universal Ada Test Language code that was written for
> DEC Ada. Of course it is riddled with calls to Starlet.
>
> How do i even start to gut out calls to Starlet and replace them with
> calls to Windows system calls.
>
> Please note i have NEVEr written a line of Ada code on Windows so i am
> a complete newbie!!!

Starlet is the set of VMS system services.
You will have to rewrite your software to match the Windows operating
system.  Good luck with ASTs.

You might be better off to run a VAX emulator on your Windows machine.

* Re: Porting DEC Ada Startlet to Windows
@ 2006-03-01  5:35   ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 2006-03-01  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> Starlet is the set of VMS system services.
> You will have to rewrite your software to match the Windows operating
> system.  Good luck with ASTs.

An AST is basically the same as an OVERLAPPED structure.  The migration from
VMS to WNT (get it?) should be relatively painless.

* Re: Porting DEC Ada Startlet to Windows
@ 2006-03-01 14:32     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2006-03-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ud5h63eya.fsf@earthlink.net>, Matthew Heaney <matthewjheaney@earthlink.net> writes:
> Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
>
>> Starlet is the set of VMS system services.
>> You will have to rewrite your software to match the Windows operating
>> system.  Good luck with ASTs.
>
> An AST is basically the same as an OVERLAPPED structure.

AST (in VMS) stands for Asynchronous System Trap, and is an execution
context in between a given mode (typically User) and the next inner
mode (typically Supervisor).

I don't know the word "OVERLAPPED", but I don't see what VMS ASTs
have to do with Structures of any sort.

* Re: Porting DEC Ada Startlet to Windows
@ 2006-03-06 19:07   ` Charlie McCutcheon
From: Charlie McCutcheon @ 2006-03-06 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > How do i even start to gut out calls to Starlet and replace them with
> > calls to Windows system calls.

Get the list of what's missing.  Analyze the compilation errors I assume
you're getting, since the HP Ada Predefined Library won't exist on Windows.
If you have a VMS system, the source to the STARLET package is in
ADA$PREDEFINED:*.ADC.

You then have a list of symbols and calls you need to provide somehow.

Go VMS online documentation to see what the calls do;
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/.

> You will have to rewrite your software to match the Windows operating
> system.  Good luck with ASTs.

Right, discover what your Ada program needs from the VMS system calls.
AST's may not be involved...

Charlie