From: Sazonov Cyril <cyril@geol.spb.su>
Subject: Re: Newbe compile problems
Date: 1996/12/18
Date: 1996-12-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>From cyril Wed Dec 18 10:15:50 WET 1996
>> Sorry, I sent the wrong error. Here's the real source and error:
>>
>> with Float_Text_IO;
>>  use Float_Text_IO;
>> procedure Think is
>>   A, B : Float := 0.0; -- A and B initially zero; note the period.
>>   I, J : Integer := 1;
>> begin
>>   A := B + 7.0;
>>   I := J * 3;
>>   B := Float(I) + A;
>>   Put(B);
>> end Think;
>>
>> cd /home/jamie/learnAda/think/
>> gnatmake think.adb
>> gcc -c think.adb
>> think.adb:1:07: file "float_text_io.ads" not found
>> compilation abandoned
>> gnatmake: "think.adb" compilation error
>> Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Sun Dec 15 09:44:55
>>
>> Actualy I ended up fixing this myself. I've switched to a more recient
>> turorial with examples which are compiling--so far.  In any event I'll
>> keep my newbe questions to myself.
>>
>>Jamie

As for me I've found two places where may be errors:

#1 >> with Float_Text_IO;

Are you sure that this package exists? The standard package is called
TEXT_IO.FLOAT_IO.

Or if the IO package is of your own, then check whether its has been compiled
_before_ you're trying to compile your sample.

#2 >>  A, B : FLOAT := 0.0;

This may an error too, the thing is that decimal IS NOT a sign of a FLOAT-type
constant, it is a sign of a FIXED-type constant. The FLOAT-type constant
should be written so 12.34E56, it IS to have a power_of_ten postfix. This
detail is mentioned in the LRM ( I've got the Ada83 one only ).

Best wishes from Russia!                                      Cyril Sazonov