From: "Alexander E. Kopilovitch" <aek@pcaek.spb.su>
Subject: Re: What's the best language to start with
Date: 1996/08/12
Date: 1996-08-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In <dewar.839694958@schonberg> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

>>It means that this "programmer" is not programmer indeed, but software
>>engineer. The combination of "careful and well written implementations" and
>>"completely absurd algorithms" is characteristic for substantional part of
>>the growing mass of these brave software engineers.

>... there is no
>distinction of this kind in the terms as normally used here. You can
>find incompetent and competent people under all labels!

I did not say that software engineers are incompetent and I did not say that
"programmers" are more competent than "software engineers". The difference
between these terms (or labels, if you want) doesn't directly relate to
some general competence. These "labels" can designate different _priorities_.
And you could not expect the same profile of competence from people with
substantionally different priorities.

Alexander Kopilovitch                      aek@vib.usr.pu.ru
Saint-Petersburg
Russia