From: walter!porthos!porthos!aaron@uunet.uu.net  (Aaron Akman)
Subject: Re: Strassman says Ada is not cost effective
Date: 18 Aug 93 21:37:06 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <SRCTRAN.93Aug17134325@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:

  >>These sentiments probably explain why when he was in office, Strassman
  >>never mentioned Ada in interviews in the trade press - he didn't want to

Actually, the most pro-Ada magazine article I've ever read was written by Paul
Strassman.  It's in the September 1992 issue of American Programmer.  Take a
look...it's really an eye-popper.  Here are some select quotes from the
article:

	A recent study that explored the question, "Who are the resisters to
the adoption of Ada?" showed that the resisters are predominately the creative
loner-programmers...[it gets much juicier]

	The essence of Ada is its highly disciplined, structured approach that
enforces a manufacturinglike process on software design...by far the best
choice that meets the wide diversity...for at least the next decade.

	Conversion from a "craft" to an "industrial" mode...is the only way I
know to cope with the new demands, and Ada is the computer language of choice
to support this goal.

I'm not quoting from this article to support it, but I think it's a bit
misleading to quote Strassman to support your crusade when he can just as
easily be quoted as saying that Ada is the language of choice for the next
decade.

--

aaron@iscp.bellcore.com (Aaron Akman)
RRC 4B-325, x6262