* C v C++
@ 2001-11-30 10:26 Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2001-11-30 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone been following the thread

"What is code bloating ? What leads to code bloating in C++?"

in "comp.lang.c++"?

If I was being cruel, I'd compare this to
a blind man fighting a sighted man in a dark room!

It seems like the C++ guys are now having to fight
the same language/compile bloat issues that I've
heard often enough around Ada! :-)

* Re: C v C++
@ 2001-11-30 14:28 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-11-30 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Code bloat seems to me to be (at least in part) a consequence of Object
Oriented Design. I recall hearing someone at a TriAda conference years ago
describing OOD as: "If you want a banana, you have to take the whole
gorilla." You may gain something with OOD, but you sacrifice something for
it as well. I'd see this as a problem for both Ada95 and C++ when you use
the OO model so I would be reluctant to pick on C++ for it.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2001-11-30 15:35   ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 2001-11-30 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> wrote in
message news:9u851b$7d$1@nh.pace.co.uk...
> Code bloat seems to me to be (at least in part) a consequence of Object
> Oriented Design. I recall hearing someone at a TriAda conference years ago
> describing OOD as: "If you want a banana, you have to take the whole
> gorilla." You may gain something with OOD, but you sacrifice something for
> it as well. I'd see this as a problem for both Ada95 and C++ when you use
> the OO model so I would be reluctant to pick on C++ for it.

For poorly-done OOD, yes.  Otherwise I do not find it inherent.  There
certainly is the school of thought that absolutely every "class" must be
perfectly complete for every conceivable use, and for some things I buy that
and it could be a factor, but in general I do not.  In the bad old days
there was no way to remove unused routines, so all the code in a package
would be included in the executable -- and that can certainly lead to
bloat -- but those days are gone.

For my 2 cents code bloat is a result of poor design and poor management
(e.g. feature/requirements creep).

--
---
Patrick Rogers                       Consulting and Training in:

* Re: C v C++
@ 2001-11-30 17:01     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-11-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well its hard to blame a whole design method for every form of code bloat
and yes, I agree that a lot of it has to do with bad design and poor
management of a project. Still, with OOD there is some non-trivial overhead
that goes with the implementation and the method itself leads to a kind of
over-generalization that can make the code expand in size from what might be
a more optimal solution. You get flexibility, ease of enhancement and
reusability out of that sort of design, but you're paying for it by having
the code increase in volume.

I don't think OOD is the worst offender, but it certainly contributes. Its
also not necessarily a problem that code may be more bloated than it
absolutely has to be. Depends on what you're doing...

MDC