* SPITBOL 360
@ 2001-11-17 18:52 Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-11-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

As far as I can tell nobody posted the following to c.l.a

>What is SPITBOL 360?
>--------------------
>
>SPITBOL 360 is an implementation of the SNOBOL4 programming language
>for use on IBM 360 compatible computers. SPITBOL 360 was the first
>true compiler for SNOBOL4 and is an incredibly clever work of assembly
>language.
>
>SPITBOL 360 was originally distributed under license, for a fee, from
>1971 until 1984 when it was superseded by SPITBOL 370.
>
>Effective November 2001, SPITBOL 360 will be distributed under the
>General Public License (GPL), for NO fee.

This is the original code by Robert Dewar and Ken Belcher, if I am not
mistaken.

Dewar's Ada version of  the SPITBOL algorithms can be found in gnat.Spitbol.

Ehud Lamm

* Re: SPITBOL 360
@ 2001-11-18  1:53 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-11-18  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ehud Lamm" <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote in message news:<9t6btg$2lv$1@news.huji.ac.il>...
> As far as I can tell nobody posted the following to c.l.a
>
> >What is SPITBOL 360?
> >--------------------

As far as I can tell, this has no relevance to Ada whatever, which
probably explains why it was not posted
to CLA :-)

* Re: SPITBOL 360
@ 2001-11-18 16:13   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-11-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

> "Ehud Lamm" <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote in message news:<9t6btg$2lv$1@news.huji.ac.il>...
>> As far as I can tell nobody posted the following to c.l.a
>>
>> >What is SPITBOL 360?
>> >--------------------
>
> As far as I can tell, this has no relevance to Ada whatever, which
> probably explains why it was not posted
> to CLA :-)

I guess Ehud Lamm would have posted to alt.fan.robert-dewar if this
group existed. But seems we're stuck with comp.lang.ada at the
moment. ;-)

* Re: SPITBOL 360
@ 2001-11-18 19:20     ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-11-18 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was just thinking that someone might find the BAL code mroe readable than
GNAT.Spitbol :-)

Ehud