* Re: looking for a fast  re-usable non-pointer data structure ....
@ 2001-11-12 17:00 ` Kevin Rigotti
From: Kevin Rigotti @ 2001-11-12 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What doesn't it like?

Are you trying to return a limited type from a remotely dispatched function,
or some other thing that would need T'Read and T'Write but cannot have them.

If the tree is reasonably complete you wouldn't lose much by mapping the AVL
tree onto an array and just marking the unused nodes in some way.

Kevin
--
ATC Systems Group, DERA, St Andrews Road, Malvern, Worcestershire WR14 3PS,
UK

@ 2001-11-12 17:15 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-11-12 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9sookc$d83$1@neptunium.btinternet.com>, Tony Gair says...
>Any ideas, has anyone used an avl tree as  a remote protected objected
>object with the distributed annex,
>Should I dump the annex...or the avl tree

Its probably just a matter of properly defining the stream attributes for your
AVL tree so that the distributed annex can use them. But going through that
process does not sound to me like a task for beginners or the faint-of-heart.

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: looking for a fast  re-usable non-pointer data structure ....
@ 2001-11-12 17:37 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-11-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony Gair wrote:

> Does anyone know of  reasonably fast data structure to store a large amount
> of records.

It would help if you provided more information about what precisely you
want. PragmARC.Queue_Bounded is fast, non-pointer, and a data structure,
but since you're using an AVL tree I doubt that it does what you want.

Balanced tree structures tend to be slow for insertion and deletion, but
fast [O(log N)] for searching. You might be interested in a skip list.
Skip lists are approximately O(log N) for searching, and O(1) for
insertion and deletion; I do not understand why people continue to use
balanced trees given the existence of skip lists. See
PragmARC.Skip_List_Unbounded for an implementation of a skip list.

It should be reasonably simple to implement a bounded skip list, just as
it is to implement a bounded list.

--
Jeffrey Carter

* looking for a fast  re-usable non-pointer data structure ....
@ 2001-11-12 23:02 Tony Gair