* ASIS Textbook
@ 2001-11-09 11:00 Jon Ivar Berg
From: Jon Ivar Berg @ 2001-11-09 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I have started using ASIS (Ada Semantic Interface Specification) with gnat
3.13p. Have got hold of the  ISO/IEC 15291 specification, but are looking
for  textbook on the subject. Have anyone come across one?

joni

* Re: ASIS Textbook
@ 2001-11-09 12:49 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-11-09 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Ivar Berg wrote:

> Hello,
> I have started using ASIS (Ada Semantic Interface Specification) with gnat
> 3.13p. Have got hold of the  ISO/IEC 15291 specification, but are looking
> for  textbook on the subject. Have anyone come across one?

I've never seen a textbook on ASIS, though one would certainly be nice.

If you haven't already seen it, the best source of ASIS material that I
know of right now is at http://www.acm.org/sigada/WG/asiswg.  Among
other things are instructions for subscribing to the ASIS mailing lists,
where the participants are quite helpful.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: ASIS Textbook
@ 2001-11-09 16:57   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-11-09 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe it ought to be a requirement that before you can standardize something
like this, there needs to be a "How To" document written to go with the
standard. Standards are nice for spelling out in precise detail exactly what
the thing must do, but aren't usually a good place to go to get a casual
overview and guidance on how it is intended to work. Some standards are
important enough that you know books will eventually emerge, but for
"lesser" standards, what's a programmer to do? Having some kind of "How To"
or "Developer's Guide" text would probably also go a long way to encourage
use of the standard.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic