* Ada95 on Plan9/Inferno
@ 2001-10-28 15:44 Clueless
From: Clueless @ 2001-10-28 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lately I've been seriously considering developing some apps for the Plan9
and Inferno Operating system platforms.

Are there any Ada compilers which will compile for this/these
platform(s)? I could dink around with generating intermediate C code, but
I would much rather have the whole kit and kaboodle right there.

Any information would greatly appreciated.

mcdoobie
chris@dont.spam.me

* Re: Ada95 on Plan9/Inferno
@ 2001-10-28 17:10 ` Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 2001-10-28 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Clueless wrote:
> Lately I've been seriously considering developing some apps for the Plan9
> and Inferno Operating system platforms.

What is the market for Plan9/Inferno like? What's the composition of the
user community?

I looked at some of the online docs a while ago and I thought the Dis VM
was timely considering the whole Java explosion. Too bad Sun hype was
better.

It seems that most of the VMs map relatively closely to Ada 95 constructs.
I wonder if this is related to the efforts during the design of Ada 95 to
efficiently implementable (with current technology of course) building
blocks, or if its something more mundane, like the fact that the VMs all
look like Java, which isn't too far from Ada?

It would be cool to have Ada on the JVM, .NET CLR, and running atop the
Inferno on their virtual machine too. Ada could be the Queen of the
Virtual Machine.

Sorry, no real information.

-- Brian

* Re: Ada95 on Plan9/Inferno
@ 2001-10-28 17:33   ` Wannabe h4x0r
From: Wannabe h4x0r @ 2001-10-28 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20011028085136.A29500-100000@shell5.ba.best.com>, "Brian
Rogoff" <bpr@shell5.ba.best.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Clueless wrote:
>> Lately I've been seriously considering developing some apps for the
>> Plan9 and Inferno Operating system platforms.
>
> What is the market for Plan9/Inferno like? What's the composition of the
> user community?
>
> I looked at some of the online docs a while ago and I thought the Dis VM
> was timely considering the whole Java explosion. Too bad Sun hype was
> better.
>
> It seems that most of the VMs map relatively closely to Ada 95
> constructs. I wonder if this is related to the efforts during the design
> of Ada 95 to efficiently implementable (with current technology of
> course) building blocks, or if its something more mundane, like the fact
> that the VMs all look like Java, which isn't too far from Ada?
>
> It would be cool to have Ada on the JVM, .NET CLR, and running atop the
> Inferno on their virtual machine too. Ada could be the Queen of the
> Virtual Machine.
>
> Sorry, no real information.
>
> -- Brian

The thing that I really like about the Plan9/Inferno environments is
complete network/hardware/et... transparency. I can divide up my network
into a file server, CPU server, et... and make it look like one big
computer if I want to.(The Amoeba OS goes even further in that regard,
but I digress.) Even Java and .NET dont provide the kind of
transparency one finds in the Plan9 environment. Everything looks
(at least to the user) like one big computer. Completely eliminating
the need for a "client/server" architecture for alot of applications.
(Although NOT all apps. AFAIK)

It seems like Ada95 would fit quite nicely into this type of
environment. Heck, the Distributed Systems Annex already appears to
embody many of the Plan9/Inferno/Limbo principles.

If there is no compiler available, I wonder how difficult a GNAT port
would be. Just curious.

McDoobie
chris@dont.spam.me

* Re: Ada95 on Plan9/Inferno
@ 2001-10-29 16:23 ` Tony Gair
From: Tony Gair @ 2001-10-29 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had at a look at bell labs plan9 and they did mention that there are calls
that languages could make...but no mention of languages...strange eh

switching to my mr geeky logic mode :-
  if gcc had bindings taken out then can a normal c compiler be used to
compile GCC from source and then we can use GNAT from there..

To use the features of ada could we add in calls to the op system in the
gnat compiled in ada....

"Clueless" <chris@dont.spam.me> wrote in message
> Lately I've been seriously considering developing some apps for the Plan9
> and Inferno Operating system platforms.
>
> Are there any Ada compilers which will compile for this/these
> platform(s)? I could dink around with generating intermediate C code, but
> I would much rather have the whole kit and kaboodle right there.
>

> Any information would greatly appreciated.
>
> mcdoobie
> chris@dont.spam.me

* Re: Ada95 on Plan9/Inferno
@ 2001-10-29 17:41   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2001-10-29 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tony Gair" <tonygair@btinternet.com> writes:

><snip>
>   if gcc had bindings taken out then can a normal c compiler be used to
> compile GCC from source and then we can use GNAT from there..

The Ada compiler component of GCC is written in Ada, and in fact in a
GNAT dialect of Ada. So you need GNAT to compile GNAT; nothing else
will do.

> To use the features of ada could we add in calls to the op system in
> the gnat compiled in ada....

I'm not clear what you are talking about here ...

--
-- Stephe