From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Hellfire/Longbow SW Engineer
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:37:01 -0400
Date: 2001-10-18T13:37:02+00:00	[thread overview]

Don't think I said anything about the position not being "real" - I'd
presume that anyone who posts a job description here generally speaking has
a job to offer.

Usually headhunter posts don't list a location for a couple of reasons - if
you list the location, someone might go around you directly to the company
and the headhunter loses the fee. The other reason is, as I observed, that
their back pocket for another day. None of that is particularly dishonest or
unfair - it just isn't terribly convenient for someone who might be looking
at job opportunities. (Who wants to keep getting calls from headhunters
about jobs they're not interested in taking? Not quite as bad as spam in the
e-mail, but its the same general nuisance.)

Huntspatch Alabama, eh? Been there. Done that. Nice enough town, but it
isn't home & I got tired of the road. :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

message news:<9qkpkr$s1v$1@nh.pace.co.uk>...
> > "Marc A. Criley" <mcqada@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > > As usual, omitting even a hint of the geographical location
> > > significantly decreases the response rate.
> >
> > Its a fishing expedition hoping to attract as many resumes as possible -
if
> > you don't use them for this placement, you use them for some other one.
> >
> > I'd agree that geographical location might improve responses from people
> > likely to take the job - but it would probably cut down on the overall
> > number of raw resumes many of whom won't consider the position.
> >
> > In any event - if they want to build the Hellfire thingie down here in
South