From: David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu>
Subject: Re: Small question concerning use
Date: 16 Oct 2001 21:26:20 GMT
Date: 2001-10-16T21:26:20+00:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:26:16 GMT, Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
>>I'd be bothered by such stuff less if it wasn't so repetitive.
>>Ada.Streams.Stream_Element_Count instead of Ada.Streams.Count?
>>How many times do I have to say "Unbounded" or "String"?
>
> Well, yes. You aren't missing anything, your observation is dead on.
> Unfortunately the folks who wrote the Ada libraries "took sides" on this issue.
> The best thing to do here is to take it as a constant reminder to yourself to
> pick better names for your *own* packages and objects.

The problem is, how? Ada.Streams.Count is un"use"able; it would conflict
with other variables named Count (besides being just a bad name all
around). How do you name a variable so it doesn't conflict with other
names when "use"d, but doesn't do too much repetition. What should
Ada.Streams.Stream_Element_Count have been named? (Count's just an awful
name, anyway, even outside a "use" enviroment; a count of what?)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I saw a daemon stare into my face, and an angel touch my breast; each