* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-07  1:17 ` James Rogers
From: James Rogers @ 2001-10-07  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Forbes wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there an inexpensive ($300 or less) developer level commercial ADA
> compiler?
> I have searched the internet for nearly a week and can't find something
> I can
> afford.  And I don't like time-limited and feature-limited "free
> trials."

That depends upon what you mean by "developer level". If you mean
you want online support included for $300 or less, then you are out
of luck. Of course, this problem is not just an Ada limitation.
You are out of luck with compiler vendors for all other languages
also.

If you meant that you want a compiler that closely adheres to the
language standard and implements all the annexes, then you want
GNAT, which can be obtained for free, if you do not want support.
GNAT does not impose time or feature limitations. You get a full
Ada compiler.

If you purchase support from ACT you will not only get GNAT,
you will get access to the newest versions of GNAT, as well as a
strong support organization.

If you want support, then there are a number of compiler vendors
willing to sell you compilers. Note that the cost of the compiler
may be highly negotiable, but the cost of support will be much
less negotiable. It costs a compiler vendor significant
resources to provide support. Those resources are expensive.
You must pay for what you get.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

* Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-07  3:30 William Forbes
From: William Forbes @ 2001-10-07  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
Is there an inexpensive ($300 or less) developer level commercial ADA
compiler?
I have searched the internet for nearly a week and can't find something
I can
afford.  And I don't like time-limited and feature-limited "free
trials."

Thanks

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-07  7:31 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-10-07  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I have searched the internet for nearly a week and can't find something
>I can
>afford.  And I don't like time-limited and feature-limited "free
  This is distinctly unfortunate.  I asked Google for "Ada Compilers"
and got a bunch of stuff, but the first several entries were for very
old web pages with antiquated information.  Eventually I saw
directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Ada/Compilers
and www.acm.org/sigada et al, but someone who didn't already know the
answers already would have waded through a lot of unhelpful stuff
first.  Do a google search and see what I mean.  Do the other search
engines turn up more helpful information?  What can be done to make it
easy, instead of hard, for someone new to Ada to find a compiler?

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-07 12:06   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-10-07 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6xTv7.11226$IY3.8207717@news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com>, tmoran@acm.org writes:
>>I have searched the internet for nearly a week and can't find something
>>I can
>>afford.  And I don't like time-limited and feature-limited "free
>   This is distinctly unfortunate.  I asked Google for "Ada Compilers"
> and got a bunch of stuff, but the first several entries were for very
> old web pages with antiquated information.  Eventually I saw
> directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Ada/Compilers
> and www.acm.org/sigada et al, but someone who didn't already know the
> answers already would have waded through a lot of unhelpful stuff
> first.

Although your goal may be current information, the goal of search engines
is to catalog all information.  The machine does not know "stale".

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-07 13:18   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-10-07 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<6xTv7.11226$IY3.8207717@news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com>...
>  What can be done to make it
> easy, instead of hard, for someone new to Ada to find a
> compiler?

Seems to me that this is definitely a job for the ARA.
I will pass this post on  to them.

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-08  5:32   ` Michael Bode
From: Michael Bode @ 2001-10-08  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org writes:

>   This is distinctly unfortunate.  I asked Google for "Ada Compilers"
> and got a bunch of stuff, but the first several entries were for very
> old web pages with antiquated information.

I searched Google for "Ada" and the 5. hit was Ada Home
(www.adahome.com). 5 more clicks and I was at www.gnat.com.

Then I searched Google for "Ada compiler" and the 1. hit was www.gnat.com.

I guess it's not too difficult to find some decent information on
Ada. Now I only need some time to learn the language.

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-08  8:39   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2001-10-08  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 07 Oct 2001 01:17:55 GMT, James Rogers
<jimmaureenrogers@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>William Forbes wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Is there an inexpensive ($300 or less) developer level commercial ADA
>> compiler?
>> I have searched the internet for nearly a week and can't find something
>> I can
>> afford.  And I don't like time-limited and feature-limited "free
>> trials."
>
>That depends upon what you mean by "developer level". If you mean
>you want online support included for $300 or less, then you are out
>of luck. Of course, this problem is not just an Ada limitation.
>You are out of luck with compiler vendors for all other languages
>also.

I may be completely wrong, but my first assumption on reading
William's question was that he's interested in something like an Ada
version of the MS VC++, or Inprise C++ Builder type of thing.

From my experience I would guess ObjectAda's about the closest to
that, but probably too expensive for the professional edition, and
the Special Edition is (or at least, was) feature-limited.

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-09  0:53     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-10-09  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >   This is distinctly unfortunate.  I asked Google for "Ada Compilers"
> > and got a bunch of stuff, but the first several entries were for very
> > old web pages with antiquated information.
> Then I searched Google for "Ada compiler" and the 1. hit was www.gnat.com.
  I guess that shows the state of search technology.  "Ada compiler" gives
useful information up front, "Ada compilers" hides it.  Sigh.

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-09  1:24       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-10-09  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dUrw7.16686$IY3.11795215@news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com>, tmoran@acm.org writes:
>> >   This is distinctly unfortunate.  I asked Google for "Ada Compilers"
>> > and got a bunch of stuff, but the first several entries were for very
>> > old web pages with antiquated information.
>> Then I searched Google for "Ada compiler" and the 1. hit was www.gnat.com.

>   I guess that shows the state of search technology.  "Ada compiler" gives
> useful information up front, "Ada compilers" hides it.  Sigh.

Perhaps the state of Google, but not the state of search technology
in general.

	http://www.northernlight.com/

shows 6645 items for either search.  The first couple seem to be
the same on the two lists, but I do not intend to compare the
whole list :-)

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compiler
@ 2001-10-09 14:16 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-10-09 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please post back with what you consider to be your requirements for a
"developer level commercial Ada compiler". There are a number of things
available for the cost of a download off the net. There are also a bunch of
things that are available for probably significantly more than $300. But it
does come down to "what do you really need?"

Also please identify the host/target for which you want to develop since
this will impact what is available.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic