From: Jim44. <Jim44._member@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: why? US Army Ada software converted to C++?
Date: 6 Oct 2001 18:16:48 -0700
Date: 2001-10-06T18:16:48-07:00	[thread overview]

In article <061020011935502631%demery@cox.rr.com>, David says...

>One of the most common reasons I hear for contractors moving from Ada is
>that they can't find Ada programmers.

They are probably not trying hard enough.

But this notion of asking for an 'X' programmer, is really funny. It is
like a taxi company asking for drivers who know how to drive a buick only.
As if someone who has been driving a cadilac or any other car could
not learn how to drive a buick.

So, those C++ programmers they are asking to hire (to teach Ada how to
convert the code to C++ :), could not themselves learn to program in Ada?

>My own hypothesis is that they're
>not willing to pay enough.

Actually Ada pays the least of all the programming languages I know about.
I look at job wanted ads for programmers, and Ada rates and salaries are
always the lowest (never understood wht that is).  So, in a away, asking
for a C++ programmers will actually cost more in terms of salaries (C++
will not accept the low salaries of Ada programmers), and it also cost
more in terms of software defects.

Is anyone in the defense department awake anymore? How could such a
waste of tax payers money go on and no one does anything about it?