From: David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu>
Subject: Re: Ada telnet protocol engine
Date: 23 Sep 2001 04:12:18 GMT
Date: 2001-09-23T04:12:18+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:04:40 GMT, Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com> wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, is there anything in Ada (I've not found it)
> that maps ASCII to the local character set? That is, a "65" octet on a
> telnet connection is still going to mean "A" even if my local machine is
> using EBCDIC on the screen.

I would guess most systems that need that, have functions in system
libraries that can be easily interfaced. The bigger problem is the fact
that character is theoritically Latin-1, which even if you have converters
is going to only completely map if you're converting to Unicode or Latin-1
(I believe there's an EBCDIC standard whose character set is the same as
Latin-1.)

> Similarly, is there any standard for what a
> "wide character" means? Is it guaranteed to be Unicode encoded?

Yes. Check out the Ada standard or a good Ada book for more details.
(The main catch being that Wide_Character only encodes the BMP, and
defines the block of surrogate characters as graphic.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,