From: those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Memory Access for Large Array
Date: 18 Sep 2001 03:50:23 GMT
Date: 2001-09-18T03:50:23+00:00	[thread overview]

<slrn9q75rl.gu.gerhard.nospam@lilith.hqd-internal> divulged:
>On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:49:47 -0400, Sfoo <senglee.foo@dreo.dnd.ca> wrote:

>>I have a Sun Solaris with 1 Gbytes of RAM and lots of SAWP space. I am =
>>compiling my Ada program with GNU Ada95 compiler. I wrote a small test =
>>program which define a large 2 dimensional array as follow:
>
>I couldn't get around that limit either. I use Linux, and my "ulimit -s" shows
>I have unlimited stack size.

just because the limit is "unlimited" doesn't meant that there is no upper
bound, bizarre as that might sound to you.  (you don't have infinite memory
installed, right?)  the limits you can inspect and change are
administrative policy limits.  there remain platform related or imposed
upper bounds.  for better clues as to why linux acts as it does you should
ask in a linux forum, e.g., comp.os.linux.admin.

--
okay, have a sig then