* Ada for the JVM - publicity
@ 2001-08-28 13:11 Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

An analysis of various language tools targetting hte JVM
(http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_33.htm), resulted in a list of only eight
"Possibly Commercial Languages (non-Java) ." of these eight, two  (25%) are
Ada compilers. Alas, the the article goes on to say:

<quote>
* AppletMagic, a compiler of Ada 95. I was unable to get any information on
this product.

*  JGNAT, another compiler of ADA 95 from Ada Core Technologies. I spoke to
Nancy Cruz at Ada Core Technologies who told me this work was funded by the
Defense Department. She promised me a list of customers using this product
within 15 minutes, but, as of press time (five days later) has not followed
through.
 </quote>

It would be great to learn more here, if not from the web page, about real
world users.
It may also be worthwhile, marketing-wise, to have that page updated with
more information.

--
Ehud Lamm   mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il

* Re: Ada for the JVM - publicity
@ 2001-08-29 18:13 ` Samuel T. Harris
From: Samuel T. Harris @ 2001-08-29 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ehud Lamm wrote:

> An analysis of various language tools targetting hte JVM
> (http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_33.htm), resulted in a list of only eight
> "Possibly Commercial Languages (non-Java) ." of these eight, two  (25%) are
> Ada compilers. Alas, the the article goes on to say:
>
> <quote>
> * AppletMagic, a compiler of Ada 95. I was unable to get any information on
> this product.

A simple search via goto.com yields many references, the first
of which takes me directly to the appropriate one. I guess the
author had better things to do.

> *  JGNAT, another compiler of ADA 95 from Ada Core Technologies. I spoke to
> Nancy Cruz at Ada Core Technologies who told me this work was funded by the
> Defense Department. She promised me a list of customers using this product
> within 15 minutes, but, as of press time (five days later) has not followed
> through.
>  </quote>

Since the author could not take the time to an search for appletmagic,
it is not surprising that he would not take time to check-back with
references. Note that ACT was not the only source which "failed"
to respond before press time.

> It would be great to learn more here, if not from the web page, about real
> world users.
> It may also be worthwhile, marketing-wise, to have that page updated with
> more information.
>
> --
> Ehud Lamm   mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il

--
Samuel T. Harris, Senior Software Engineer II
Raytheon, Aerospace Engineering Services

* Re: Ada for the JVM - publicity
@ 2001-08-29 18:52   ` Gary Scott
From: Gary Scott @ 2001-08-29 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Of notable absence also is REXX.  A large percentage of Mainframe JBC is
actually written in REXX rather than Java (it's so much easier).

@ 2001-08-29 19:08   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2001-08-29 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Samuel T. Harris" wrote:

> Ehud Lamm wrote:
> >
> > An analysis of various language tools targetting hte JVM
> > (http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_33.htm), resulted in a list of only eight
> > "Possibly Commercial Languages (non-Java) ." of these eight, two  (25%) are
> > Ada compilers. Alas, the the article goes on to say:
> >
> > <quote>
> > * AppletMagic, a compiler of Ada 95. I was unable to get any information on
> > this product.
>
> A simple search via goto.com yields many references, the first
> of which takes me directly to the appropriate one. I guess the
> author had better things to do.

I sent the author a note yesterday describing how both AppletMagic and
JGNAT fulfilled his list of requirements for language-neutrality on the
JVM.

- Ed

* Re: Ada for the JVM - publicity
@ 2001-08-29 21:28   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-29 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just to clarify: I didn't mean to imply that the Ada compiler vevdors are at
fault here.

Ehud

* Re: Ada for the JVM - publicity
@ 2001-08-29 21:29     ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-29 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Scott <Gary.L.Scott@lmtas.lmco.com> wrote in message
> Of notable absence also is REXX.  A large percentage of Mainframe JBC is
> actually written in REXX rather than Java (it's so much easier).

That would be NetRexx, I assume.

Ehud Lamm

* Re: Ada for the JVM - publicity
@ 2001-08-30 13:25       ` Gary Scott