From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada And Alternate System Architectures
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:45:00 -0400
Date: 2001-08-23T18:45:01+00:00	[thread overview]

Clearly, you need to read Chapter 13. If you are trying to do low level
system dependent things - or build things where the representation can be
controlled to be system independent, this is the chapter for you.

Specifically, see:

13.5.3 Bit Ordering
13.3 Representation Attributes

You can learn to use clever things like "for S'Bit_Order use
High_Order_First ;" and similar clever things by getting familiar with
Chapter 13.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

"Gary Scott" <Gary.L.Scott@lmtas.lmco.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Thanks.  Fortran 95 defines a bit model for integers and then provides
> intrinsics for manipulating bits within that bit model.  What I was
> wanting was a key word optional argument for bit manipulation intrinsics
> that allowed me to very slightly modify the bit model by specifying an
> "endian" (byte) key word.  This would allow me to write "portable" code
> between big/little endian 8-bit byte systems.  Apparently if it's only
> 99.9% portable or acknowledges the existence of a "byte", it can't be
> considered.  I guess I understand, but it seems like this could be
> addressed through an architecture/system dependent modularized
> definition.
>
> Marin David Condic wrote:
> >
> > Ada bends over backwards to avoid specifying anything that would make it
> > impossible or impractical to implement Ada on just about any platform.
For