* Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-21 22:59 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-08-21 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Hullo.

These times I'm toying with AdaGIDE sources.
I have added the following feature:

  AdaGIDE remembers the line & column position of cursor
  after closing a window, for the next reopening.

In current release, windows always open in the (1,1) position.
When you have work sessions around line 537 of source A and
1203 of source B etc., I find more comfortable that an IDE
remembers positions.

Q: do you prefer the feature to be optional (but it would be
   one option more) ?

Remark: wishes are welcome! I already have a list...

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-22  7:29 ` Martin Dowie
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin Dowie @ 2001-08-22  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don't suppose there much chance of having it remember more than
one action it can "Undo"?..

Gautier Write-only-address <gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hullo.
>
> These times I'm toying with AdaGIDE sources.
[snip]

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-22  8:46   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-22  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie <martin.dowie@nospam.baesystems.com> wrote in message
> Don't suppose there much chance of having it remember more than
> one action it can "Undo"?..

This is right on the money. The Undo is really annoying.
Remembering the last cursor position is nice. I wouldn't mind it being the
default, nor would I find one more option to configure problematic.

I'll try to remember features I wanted....

 Off the top of my head: showing a list of installed libraries, so the
progammer (= student) can choose what he needs, without dealing
with -largs -lXXX. Scanning for the libraries depends on paths etc., unless
you have a better suggestion.
[Example of use: when I press the choose libraries menu item I see that I
have ASIS, XML, etc. installed]

Ehud

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-22 11:02     ` Gerhard Häring
From: Gerhard Häring @ 2001-08-22 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ehud Lamm wrote:
 > [...]
>  Off the top of my head: showing a list of installed libraries, so the
> progammer (= student) can choose what he needs, without dealing
> with -largs -lXXX. Scanning for the libraries depends on paths etc.,
> unless you have a better suggestion.
> [Example of use: when I press the choose libraries menu item I see
> that I have ASIS, XML, etc. installed]

This would indeed be quite useful. In JBuilder you can set directories
that are searched for *.library files. Such a library file looks like
the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<library>
   <!--JBuilder Library Definition File-->
   <fullname>Xalan</fullname>
   <class>
     <path>[../enfinity/jdk/jre/lib/ext/xalan-2.0.1-bsf.jar]</path>
     <path>[../enfinity/jdk/jre/lib/ext/xalan-2.0.1-xalan.jar]</path>
     <path>[../enfinity/jdk/jre/lib/ext/xalan-2.0.1-xerces.jar]</path>
   </class>
</library>

Just to give an idea on how this could be implemented ...

Gerhard
--
Gerhard H�ring
skynamics AG

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-22 11:55 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-08-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>This is right on the money. The Undo is really annoying.
>Remembering the last cursor position is nice. I wouldn't mind it
>being the default, nor would I find one more option to configure
>problematic.

Anyway it is easier to return to the top of the text than
to find where you were in a previous session. I also enjoyed
the feature while programming it ;-)...

>I'll try to remember features I wanted....

>  Off the top of my head: showing a list of installed libraries, so the
>progammer (= student) can choose what he needs, without dealing
>with -largs -lXXX. Scanning for the libraries depends on paths etc., unless
>you have a better suggestion.
>[Example of use: when I press the choose libraries menu item I see that I
>have ASIS, XML, etc. installed]

I suppose it would be ideally added to the local GNAT options,
in addition to what you put by hand with "-Ixxx" (Ada libraries)
or "-largs -lXXX" (link level things). With procedures and these
local options you have a "project" without the heavy machinery of
project files.

G.

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 14:59 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-08-22 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.998434769.19473.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, Gautier
Write-only-address says...
>These times I'm toying with AdaGIDE sources.
>I have added the following feature:
>
>  AdaGIDE remembers the line & column position of cursor
>  after closing a window, for the next reopening.
>
>In current release, windows always open in the (1,1) position.
>When you have work sessions around line 537 of source A and
>1203 of source B etc., I find more comfortable that an IDE
>remembers positions.

Then again, that acts as a good negative reinforcement against making source
files overly large. Since AdaGIDE is mostly for beginners, that could be viewed
as a good thing. :-)

Perhaps it should remember *what* files were open when it was closed, and reopen
them though. I've noticed other IDE's (Tornado at least) do that.

---

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-22 15:41 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-22 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I suppose it would be ideally added to the local GNAT options,
> in addition to what you put by hand with "-Ixxx" (Ada libraries)
> or "-largs -lXXX" (link level things). With procedures and these
> local options you have a "project" without the heavy machinery of
> project files.

I am not sure I follow.
What I had in mind is some radio button like box, which would simply
generate the GNAT command line options, which you currently specify in the
options dialog.

Ehud

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 15:42   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-22 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
>Perhaps it should remember *what* files were open when it was closed, and
reopen
> them though. I've noticed other IDE's (Tornado at least) do that.

Personally, I always found such behaviour irritating. Don't make this the
default!

Ehud

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-22 19:24 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-08-22 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>I am not sure I follow.
>What I had in mind is some radio button like box, which would simply
>generate the GNAT command line options, which you currently specify
>in the options dialog.

It is also my idea. Simply such project-oriented options are maybe
more for the "Tools/GNAT options in current directory" (stored
locally in "gnat.ago") than "Tools/Options...", that are general and
affect all you are doing with AdaGIDE.

G.

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-22 19:57 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-22 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >I am not sure I follow.
> >What I had in mind is some radio button like box, which would simply
> >generate the GNAT command line options, which you currently specify
> >in the options dialog.
>
> It is also my idea. Simply such project-oriented options are maybe
> more for the "Tools/GNAT options in current directory" (stored
> locally in "gnat.ago") than "Tools/Options...", that are general and
> affect all you are doing with AdaGIDE.

Of course.

Ehud

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
@ 2001-08-23  7:25 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-23  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Remark: wishes are welcome! I already have a list...

What is really needed, but would require more work, is better integration
with the debugger.

Ehud

* Re: Informal "poll" about a minor AdaGIDE improvement
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-29 18:42 ` B.Gaffney
From: B.Gaffney @ 2001-08-29 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Gautier Write-only-address" <gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.998434769.19473.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>...
> Hullo.
>
> These times I'm toying with AdaGIDE sources.
> I have added the following feature:
>
>   AdaGIDE remembers the line & column position of cursor
>   after closing a window, for the next reopening.
>
> In current release, windows always open in the (1,1) position.
> When you have work sessions around line 537 of source A and
> 1203 of source B etc., I find more comfortable that an IDE
> remembers positions.
>
> Q: do you prefer the feature to be optional (but it would be
>    one option more) ?
>
> Remark: wishes are welcome! I already have a list...

Well, this would definitely count as a wish:

It'd be nice to (somehow) be able to specify the command used to
compile.  I can think of two uses:

1)  To GnatChop a file and compile a main unit (perhaps the unit with
the same basic name as the file).  The compiler errors should be
output, so that should still work.  [I currently use a .BAT file which
Chops into a subdirectory, compiles in that directory, and returns the
executable.  This helps to keep things clean.]

2)  To check in the source (to CVS, etc.) before each compile.

I haven't a clue how this would be implemented/specified, but it would
be nice (even if there were restrictions).

          --Brian