From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Comment on Ada usage
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:33:50 -0400
Date: 2001-08-22T16:33:50+00:00	[thread overview]

10% sounds a little closer to reality. However, one needs to consider the
readership of Embedded.Com. What percentage of them use Ada? That could
account for skewing the results to the near-zero number they got. I suspect
that most of their readership builds smaller consumer-oriented devices
rather than large-scale railroad & air traffic control systems, defense and
aerospace systems, etc. Ada certainly has made an effort to convince the
large scale, safety critical, long lived community that it has advantages
and you see that in a larger percentage of those projects going with Ada.
But what about the fast-time-to-market, low-cost, small-scale,
who-cares-if-it-has-a-few-glitches, consumer electronics industry? What does
Ada do to appeal to that market? (It *could* play a bigger role there, but
it has to cater more to that customer by understanding his needs &
satisfying them.)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic