From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada and pointers
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:53:36 -0400
Date: 2001-08-15T19:53:38+00:00	[thread overview]

I suppose that my logical explanation doesn't necessarily cover the same
territory as mathematical proof. Obviously not all algorithms have bounded
memory use - try to compute Pi to the last digit - you'll run out of memory
before you get there. I'm not sure if thats what you mean.

From just a logical perspective: All computers in the known universe have a
finite quantity of memory. Hence all dynamic allocation, on all known, real
world computers is a fiction built on top of a static allocation that is
determined at computer-build time. So I'd suggest that it stands to reason
that if you have a dynamic algorithm that actually runs and computes a
solution on some real world computer, then there must be a static allocation
solution that will run on that same computer.

Now maybe we should spend some time figuring out how to trisect an angle? It
beats chasing down C program bugs which is what I have on the agenda for
this afternoon... :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic