From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: Direct control of NXT mindstorms
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 07:38:58 -0500
Date: 2010-01-08T07:38:58-05:00	[thread overview]

Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm studying the options for Ada direct control of a NXT brick from an
> external computer using the USB connection (as opposed to flashing a new
> firmware, which is the way that GNAT for Mindstorms does). After looking for
> what's available out there I've come to the following options:
>
> a) Pure Ada library, would require binding to libusb.
> b) Binding to some of the other libraries out there. I couldn't find a C/C++
> one that has USB implemented, so next good candidate seems Python or OCaml.
> c) Completing the libnxtc (the one in C) with the missing USB bits.
>
> Probably the less work is b) or c), and then bind to it from Ada if wanted.
> Anyway, just for the sake of completeness, I'd like to ask the group for any
> related experiences or missing bits. More precisely:
>
> p) I'm missing some approach in the above?
> q) Are there any Ada bindings to libusb already? Not according to my
> googling, and only some early efforts in old threads that didn't get
> reported here afterwards.
> r) Experiences in binding to Python/OCaml? I guess a C glue layer is the
> way?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Alex.

I never finished it but another approach with a start that is present is
at http://nxtada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nxtada/trunk/

This controlled it from a computer over bluetooth essentially using a
serial API and a bluetooth virtual serial port.

Suggested as another initial source of ideas and approach.