From: "Ehud Lamm" <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Re: Please review and comment
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:17:18 +0300
Date: 2001-08-01T19:17:18+03:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
news:dEU97.13861$ar1.44074@www.newsranger.com...

> I don't see anything in there explicitly about strings. That seems to be
the
> newbie's biggest mental stumbling block with Ada, and I'm sure they'd go
looking
> for it in your document. There is a section on arrays, which presumbably
would
> include this information. But for a newbie, I'd suspect it would be more
useful
> to introduce the material as "how to do strings", then later point out
that many
> of the same techniques (excepting of course, the ones relying on
Ada.Strings.*)
> work for *any* array.

In fact the major problem is understanding how to (efficiently) use
unconstrained array types. Strings are but an important specail case.
But this issue is more in line for the FAQ than from an idiom list, which I
think of as more advanced. In my idiom list what  I say about strings is
"use Ada.Strings.*" I alos have a docuement called "intro to Ada strings"
(this was online on my previous site, I am going to put it up again
sometime. Meanwhile, I can mail it if anyone wants. It is for complete
beginners).

Ehud