From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: Distributed system portability
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:55:14 -0400
Date: 2001-07-31T18:55:16+00:00	[thread overview]

That might or might not work, depending on what your requirements are for
the external representation of the data. If you define the whole thing
yourself, then whatever way you output the data is the way you input the
data & defining the operations for the primitive types is (probably) good
enough. However, you *could* be in trouble if there are requirements to
traverse byte boundaries or find things in the middle of words or otherwise
have to do something "wierd". You might also discover that this whole thing
can get rather painful if you have lots of user defined primitive types.

I've seen messages defined in systems that aren't easily dealt with via the
Stream attributes. If you're limiting yourself to a subset of the possible
representations of messages in a stream, you can get by, but if you have to
deal with all of the possibilities it gets complicated.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer