From: "Gary Lisyansky" <gary_the_fox@richmond.com>
Subject: Re: Kylix (delphi for Linux), a good Ada alternative for GUI application on Linux.
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:43:31 +0400
Date: 2001-07-30T07:47:16+00:00	[thread overview]

Well, I'd agree that Kylix (in fact, Linux version of Borland Object Pascal)
is a *very nice* development tool. Much better than C++:-).

"mark@nospam" <mark_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> I found Kylix (delphi for linux) to be very similar to Ada. It has units
> (like ada packages), threads, very similar syntax (after all, Delphi is
> based on Pascal), strong typing. fully OO langauge, All objects in kylix
> are rooted in one base object (like Java). Support single inhertance
> (like Ada and Java).

Units still aren't like Ada packages. They can't make a hierarchy of child
units, they don't have separate interface and implementation parts. There's
also no notion of genericity (though metaclasses are supported).

> But it is very easy to develop GUI and database applications with it, very
> good RAD env too. They have done a good job with the libC unit that allows
> direct call to all the C library functions.

I agree. The tool allows for both visual and traditional GUI development,
there are *lots* of good widgets.

> I think Kylix could be a good alternative to Ada on Linux. As they are so
> close to each others.  At least if Ada can not be used by millions of
> programmers, I think Kylix has a good chance of doing so.

Not an alternative, IMHO. But, for many programmers it can be a first step
into the realm of Algol- based languages, and maybe to Ada.

Gary