* A simple question: is there anything in Ada like STL in C++
@ 2001-07-01 12:45 Michael Meng
From: Michael Meng @ 2001-07-01 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since Ada support generic concept, is there anything in Ada like STL?
I am just begin to consider Ada, so forgive my naive question.

* Re: A simple question: is there anything in Ada like STL in C++
@ 2001-07-01 13:09 ` Gary Lisyansky
From: Gary Lisyansky @ 2001-07-01 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Meng" <myan518@sina.com> wrote in message
> Since Ada support generic concept, is there anything in Ada like STL?
> I am just begin to consider Ada, so forgive my naive question.

There are FDS/ATD libraries for Ada, like Booch Components, defined as
generics. The links are available on www.adapower.com .

Gary

* Re: A simple question: is there anything in Ada like STL in C++
@ 2001-07-01 22:07 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2001-07-01 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Strange as it may seem, the STL actually had its origins in Ada.  The
work was headed p by Professor David Musser at Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute, and the work used to be published on the Web.

It now seems to have disappeared.

The early versions suffered from problems with the then-available
compilers.  I followed this for a few years, and I'm sure I have some
copies around somewhere -- although they may have some changes
I made to work around compiler bugs in GNAT and /orObject Ada.

I'll see if I can find what I have, and let you know.

Meanwhile, Dave's E-mail address is musser@cs.rpi.edu -- he may be
willing to let you have a copy, or point you to their cirrent location
on the Web.

@ 2001-07-02 11:27   ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2001-07-02 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." wrote
"Strange as it may seem, the STL actually had its origins in Ada. [..]"

There is an email list in German for Ada programmers inspired by the
C++ STL (but not necessarily looking for a one to one mapping).

* Re: A simple question: is there anything in Ada like STL in C++
@ 2001-07-02 11:43   ` Michael Meng
From: Michael Meng @ 2001-07-02 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.994025284.18432.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>...
> Strange as it may seem, the STL actually had its origins in Ada.  The
> work was headed p by Professor David Musser at Rensselaer
> Polytechnic Institute, and the work used to be published on the Web.
>
> It now seems to have disappeared.
>
> The early versions suffered from problems with the then-available
> compilers.  I followed this for a few years, and I'm sure I have some
> copies around somewhere -- although they may have some changes
> I made to work around compiler bugs in GNAT and /orObject Ada.
>
> I'll see if I can find what I have, and let you know.
>
> Meanwhile, Dave's E-mail address is musser@cs.rpi.edu -- he may be
> willing to let you have a copy, or point you to their cirrent location
> on the Web.

Thank you very much. I find this newsgroup is much kind to newbies.

* Re: A simple question: is there anything in Ada like STL in C++
@ 2001-07-02 13:25   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2001-07-02 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Gary Lisyansky" <gary_the_fox@richmond.com> writes:

> "Michael Meng" <myan518@sina.com> wrote in message
> > Since Ada support generic concept, is there anything in Ada like STL?
> > I am just begin to consider Ada, so forgive my naive question.
>
> There are FDS/ATD libraries for Ada, like Booch Components, defined as
> generics. The links are available on www.adapower.com .

See also http://users.erols.com/leakstan/Stephe/Ada/sal.html

I've just submitted that to AdaPower.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: A simple question: is there anything in Ada like STL in C++
@ 2001-07-02 18:34 ` H. Ziegler
From: H. Ziegler @ 2001-07-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada Germany is establishing a working group on this subject, with the goal
to have a STL defined in the standard. Have a look at www.ada-deutschland.de

@ 2001-07-03  2:13   ` Arthur G. Duncan
From: Arthur G. Duncan @ 2001-07-03  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:

> Strange as it may seem, the STL actually had its origins in Ada.  The
> work was headed p by Professor David Musser at Rensselaer
> Polytechnic Institute, and the work used to be published on the Web.
>
> It now seems to have disappeared.

The work was called the Ada Generic Library and was carried by
Alex Stepanov and Dave Musser, while Musser was still at the
GE Research and Development Center in Schenectady, New York.
Stepanov, at the time, was teaching at the Polytechnic University
in Brooklyn. Stepanov also worked at GE-CR&D before going to
Polytechnic.

The library consisted of a number of generic list processing
algorithms. The work was published by Springer in 1989
(ISBN 0-387-97133-5).

The work grew out of some of Stepanov's work on Higher Order
Programming in Scheme, which he had developed at the Polytechnic
University. In Scheme Stepanov used higher-order functions (i.e.,
functions that accepted functions as arguments and returned functions
as their result) to generate the list algorithm implementations.
In Ada, Musser and Stepanov used generics, since Ada does not
support higher-order functions (at least not directly).

A side note.  Some of these implementations used up to six levels
of generic instantiation, which was sufficient to break most of
the commercial Ada compilers available at that time.

For something more like the STL in Ada, there is a paper by
Erlingsson and Konstantinou (1996), describing some work aimed at
providing an Ada analogue of the STL. This work was done at
R.P.I. under the direction of Dave Musser.

Hope this helps

Regards,

- Art Duncan
  NYS-HESC
  Adjunct Professor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute