* Old ADA exectuables on Solaris.
@ 2001-06-27 23:03 Steve Scandore
From: Steve Scandore @ 2001-06-27 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an old executable compiled from ADA code (around 1998). I recently
tried to run the program on a Solaris workstation and consistently receive
the following error.

** MAIN PROGRAM ABANDONED -- EXCEPTION "constraint_error" RAISED

The first line of the program is not even being reached. There is something
else happening between the program and operating system. Any ideas? I print
the exit status and get a 42 as shown.

echo $status
42

I can not recompile, no source code at this point. I do know the first line
is a print statement which is not happening. The program worked before it
just doesn't work now. The program was compiled with the verdix compiler (I
think was also the sun compiler). The current OS is a fresh install of
Solaris 2.5.1 Thanks in advance for any information.

Steve

* Re: Old ADA exectuables on Solaris.
@ 2001-06-28  8:32 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2001-06-28  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: steve.scandore

42 is the POSIX exit code for Unhandled Exception.

Are you sure that you have passed the correct command-line
arguments to the program?  A constraint error is what you would
get if required command-line arguments were missing, and the
program had not been written so as to inform of the required
arguments when they're missing.

@ 2001-06-28 10:26   ` Peter Amey
From: Peter Amey @ 2001-06-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

We had some binary compatibility problems with Solaris in two cases:

1) things compiled under what used to be called SunOS not running under
Solaris
2) things compiled under Solaris not running on later versions that used
64-bit kernels

ISTR them failing with segmentation faults rather than constraint error, but
this might be another line of enquiry for you.

Peter

@ 2001-06-28 21:48 ` Frode Tennebø
From: Frode Tennebø @ 2001-06-28 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 28 June 2001 01:03 Steve Scandore wrote:

> I have an old executable compiled from ADA code (around 1998). I
> recently tried to run the program on a Solaris workstation and
> consistently receive the following error.
>
> ** MAIN PROGRAM ABANDONED -- EXCEPTION "constraint_error" RAISED

What hardware are you running on? From memory, this resembles very much
the error you get when compiled with a certain version of the Sun Ada
compiler (2.1.1?) running on Ultras. Try running the binary on a Sparc
Station 20 or lower. I _think_ the 3.0 version fixed this.

Regards,
 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tenneb� | email: frode@tennebo.com | Frode@IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |