From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: An Old Market in which Ada May Play
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:56:45 -0400
Date: 2001-06-21T16:56:46+00:00	[thread overview]

Well, if I said "I just ported my code from VMS to VMS!" would you be very
impressed? But somehow saying "I ported from Unix(Sun) to Unix(HP)!" is
cause to celebrate? That's the problem that exists in the Unix-like world
because of the multiple flavors of it. The same (almost) problem exists
porting between different versions of Windows - but at least there the whole
thing is under one roof. OTOH, I never had any trouble taking my code from
VMS(VAX) to VMS(Alpha) or porting it upward in version numbers. Whatever
troubles may have come up were so trivial as to hardly be noticed and
certainly not something to brag about.

Ahhhhh.... If only DEC had made VMS available to the general public! (Oh,
but then, it probably would have ended up in just as bad a shape as Unix is
now...)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic