From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: An Old Market in which Ada May Play
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:49:22 -0400
Date: 2001-06-21T14:49:23+00:00	[thread overview]

There is often a myopic view of the universe that goes along with many users
of Unix-like OS's. Sometimes they see the universe as ***UNIX*** and a
handful of other curious but totally useless and insignificant products.
Sometimes the view is that EVERYBODY LOVES ***UNIX***!!! and the only people
who might register any complaints about it are the two or three people in
the whole universe who use those curious but totally useless and
insignificant other products. Portability thus begins to mean "I
successfully moved it from one flavor of Unix to another flavor of Unix".
True portability is really something much more difficult to achieve. (And
having "portability" between two or more flavors of Unix being a "Big Deal"
is itself a condemnation of Unix. It ought to be *trivial* to move code from
one Unix box to another - but apparently not.)

I have often encountered a similar attitude from people from New York. There
is ***NEW***YORK*** and there is "flyover country" that doesn't matter much.
Perhaps it comes from being "big" - everything smaller becomes viewed as
unimportant.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic