From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: A new market in which Ada can play?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:04:58 -0400
Date: 2001-06-14T14:04:59+00:00	[thread overview]

They may very well have all sorts of support for Ada. I just did a cursory
look over their web page and didn't exactly find it brimming with info on
Ada-this, Ada-that and Ada-theother... From what I could see, they have Ada
targeted to a PowerPC chip (Hosted on PC/Linux) and they have an RTOS and
some development tools. Respectable, but not *specifically* aimed at a
Set-Top-Box for Cable TV. The RTOS for a STB has to typically do the usual
and customary things - task scheduling, I/O processing, etc. But it also has
to deal with lots of specialized hardware and provide some kind of API to do
that. Off-the-shelf stuff like Linux would provide a good start - but it
would need to have a bunch of stuff added to it before it would work well
for a STB. I didn't see Concurrent specifically addressing that part. Maybe
they do - just a lack of evidence at this point.

Still, as I noted, I'm always happy to see anybody doing anything with Ada -
especially if it is in my current field of endeavor, because it makes it
more likely that I can find ways to use my favorite programming language.
:-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic