From: "Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com>
Subject: Re: A new market in which Ada can play?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:43:14 -0400
Date: 2001-06-13T16:43:15+00:00	[thread overview]

Well it certainly is an emerging market on both the Head-End and STB sides.
With OpenCable and the FCC wanting consumer-purchased STBs, there is enough
of a shakeup that it creates a chance for a new player to get their
technology in the door. With the cable companies and The Phone Cops both
fighting it out to become your ISP, there's going to be a real push to offer
apps & services that can't be had via the other guy's route. Producing
Resident Applications or downloaded applets or other products that will run
on an STB running Linux are things that are likely to be in demand for a
while & new innovations are going to be welcome. Ada has an opportunity
here...

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

"Dirk Craeynest" <dirk@piefje.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote in message

> It might be interesting to check out the following URL:
>   http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/conference/AE2001/program.html#speak
> and read the second abstract.
>
> As you can see there, using Ada in Cable TV applications is not
> completely new: the abstract at the URL above is about the keynote
> presentation that Pascal Heraud from CANAL+ Technologies gave at the
> recent Ada-Europe'2001 conference in Leuven 4 weeks ago, entitled:
>
>   "Using Ada in Interactive Digital Television Systems"
>
> CANAL+ has been using Ada in their server-side components since quite
> some time.  People from that company are reading comp.lang.ada (hi
> Thierry!) and might be tempted to comment on the news Marin refers to?
>
> It would of course be great if Ada would be used by other companies in
> this market and it could be very valuable in the TV set-top boxes too.
>
> The full paper of the above-mentioned keynote presentation is printed
> in the Ada-Europe'2001 conference proceedings (together with the other
> 4 invited papers and the 27 technical papers).  The reference is:
>
>   Dirk Craeynest and Alfred Strohmeier (Eds.):
>   Reliable Software Technologies - Ada-Europe 2001: Proceedings
>   6th Ada-Europe International Conference on Reliable Software
Technologies