* Ada on Cypress CY7C646 (8051)?
@ 2001-06-06 23:50 Brian Catlin
From: Brian Catlin @ 2001-06-06 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone used Ada to program the Cypress (formerly Anchor) CY7C646 USB controller that contains an 8051 core?  Which Ada compilers
support the 8051?  I know that Robert Dewar had a conniption back in '95 when someone suggested subsetting Ada to get it onto an
8051 (by the way, whatever happened to Robert?  I haven't seen him post in quite some time.), did anyone finally do the port?

 -Brian

* Re: Ada on Cypress CY7C646 (8051)?
@ 2001-06-07 15:46 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-06-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think the problem with subsets is quite a tangled web. Not having an
"official" subset for small computers means that a) nobody uses Ada for
small computers or b) at best you end up with hundreds of incompatible
subsets. History has been more towards A. You can't get Ada for most small
machines. Hence the guys using those sorts of small machines have no
interest in Ada. I don't know that there is any good answer to this.
Demanding "One and only one Ada" is a good thing in many respects, but how
does one then make it possible to have Ada on a tiny computer?

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2001-06-11 17:41 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2001-06-11 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Catlin wrote:

> Has anyone used Ada to program the Cypress (formerly Anchor) CY7C646 USB controller that contains an 8051 core?  Which Ada compilers
> support the 8051?  I know that Robert Dewar had a conniption back in '95 when someone suggested subsetting Ada to get it onto an
> 8051 (by the way, whatever happened to Robert?  I haven't seen him post in quite some time.), did anyone finally do the port?

One variant of our AdaMagic Ada 95 front end uses optimized
ANSI C as its intermediate representation.  This would
be one way to get Ada code onto the 8051.  The run-time
system would be a challenge, but you could be careful
to only use the pieces of the run-time you really need,
and you would probably be able to get something useful
running.

Let me know if you would be interested in investigating
this technology further as a possible solution to
your needs.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@avercom.net   http://www.avercom.net
Chief Technology Officer, AverCom Corporation (A Titan Company)