From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: Can I Do this – Help Badly Needed.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:21:24 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-06-15T08:21:24-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, June 15, 2012 6:06:12 AM UTC-7, austin...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I want to write to two external files in turn from within the same program:
>
> This is the first prompt,
>
>   Ada.Text_IO.Put
>   (Item => " Please enter the name of the unsorted file >");
>   Ada.Text_IO.New_Line(2);
>   Ada.Text_IO.Put
>   (Item => " Call it UnSortedNumberFile_n.dat - for whatever 'n' may be >");
>   Ada.Text_IO.New_Line(2);
>   Ada.Text_IO.Put(Item => " ");
>   Ada.Text_IO.Get_Line(Item => OutFileName,Last => OutNameLength);
>   Ada.Text_IO.New_Line(2);
>   Ada.Text_IO.Create(File => OutData,
>   Mode => Ada.Text_IO.Out_File,Name => OutFileName(1 .. OutNameLength));
>
>  Name given: UnsortedNumbers_n.dat
>
> Later on after some more computation in the same program I want to write out to another external file of a different name and I use the same prompt again that is only only slightly changed in the names.
>
> Second prompt.
>
>   Ada.Text_IO.Put
>   (Item => " Please enter the name of the unsorted file >");
>   Ada.Text_IO.New_Line(2);
>   Ada.Text_IO.Put
>   (Item => " Call it SortedNumberFile_n.dat - for whatever 'n' may be >");
>   Ada.Text_IO.New_Line(2);
>   Ada.Text_IO.Put(Item => " ");
>   Ada.Text_IO.Get_Line(Item => OutFileName,Last => OutNameLength);
>   Ada.Text_IO.New_Line(2);
>   Ada.Text_IO.Create(File => OutData,
>   Mode => Ada.Text_IO.Out_File,Name => OutFileName(1 .. OutNameLength));
>
> Name given: SortedNumbers_n.dat
>
> Is this allowable?.
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated

Is there a good reason to use OutData for both files?  I'd consider declaring a new File_Type object, Sorted_Out_Data or something (yes, I like putting underscores in names), for the sorted output, and Unsorted_Out_Data (instead of OutData) for the unsorted output.  The way you've written it, if you use Create on OutData, and then Create again on the same OutData, you'll get an exception unless you used Close on OutData in between.

Other than that, however, it's definitely allowable to write more than one text file from the same program, and to have multiple output text files open at the same time.

                       -- Adam