From: "Mark" <ammonia_hurts@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Computer Weekly survey: Ada does well again
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:16:55 +0100
Date: 2001-05-21T21:16:55+01:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com> wrote in message
news:9eb6md$3bt$1@nh.pace.co.uk...
> The relevant quote is:

> Among other industries, Ada is most in demand in the engineering sector,
> which again accounts for one in 10 of the jobs on offer. Here also Ada is
in
> third place, behind C and C++ again. Engineering companies are also keen
on
> Pascal and account for fully a half of all demand for this language.
>
> That makes sense. In engineering applications, the emphasis is not so
> heavily skewed towards time-to-market where the language with the
spiffiest
> development kit & accesories to leverage make the language a winner. In
the
> engineering realm, one is more apt to be concentrating on a central core
of
> code that is complex, has to work properly, and will stick around for a
good
> long time. GUI building, databases, etc. (while they are used and are
> important) do not become the focal point, so Ada's relative lack of
> development accessories doesn't hurt it so much. Its benefits get to
shine.

> I think that suggests where to focus the Ada marketing effort.
>
> MDC
> --
> Marin David Condic
> Senior Software Engineer
> Pace Micro Technology Americas    www.pacemicro.com
> Enabling the digital revolution
> e-Mail:    marin.condic@pacemicro.com
> Web:      http://www.mcondic.com/

From an industrial engineer's view, outside of the computer programming
industry, I too have noticed the increase in demand for Ada skilled
programmers in the UK. Most of it being military applications though,
particlarly because of the Eurofighter project.

I am seriously considering Ada when looking to work in the programming
industry. (I'll probably be too late for the gold rush, but what the heck!)

Mark Antony
(Yes the one and only)

P.S How do the words go in that song....

Military Intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense!
(MegaDeth 1988)